cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family plan is too expensive for what it offers

Family plan is too expensive for what it offers

Username_1
Explorer | Level 3

While I would like to have the ability for my wife and I to share a combined account with our own  individual logins - it's not worth the extra $80/year, almost doubling the cost for only a limited increase in features. If it came with double the storage I might consider it, but even then I'm not sure I need that much more storage at the moment. 

Please reconsider the pricing on the family plan as I will never upgrade at  anywhere near that price. It makes more  sense to just have 2 Plus accounts since it comes with the extra storage. With the amount of competition out there for similar cloud storage, it's getting more difficult to justify the cost of dropbox, so I was really expecting a minimal  increase in price, if any at all versus the Plus plan I am currently paying for. 

32 Replies 32

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Username_1, thanks for dropping by.

I understand how important this is for you, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about our Family plan. 

You can also check out this thread, where other users have expressed an interest in having smaller plans. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

onewil
Helpful | Level 7

I completely agree with this statement. The family plan is Plus but much more expensive. If it's going to have same storage as Plus it should be cheaper, as only add is family share features, where as if it's going to be this much money it should have more storage?

I really support Dropbox as a business but it feels like the pricing is out of touch. Super expensive already compared to competition (drive, MS 365) for fewer features, and new features (which are great to see) are again more expensive. 

taricco
Helpful | Level 6

As a Dropbox customer, I would not choose to change to the Dropbox Family plan. Hopefully, if enough loyal customers write in, Dropbox will re-evaluate the pricing model which makes little logical sense. I really like the Dropbox Family concept, but I can't see the justification for an $8 a month increase. If Dropbox took my combined family storage limit from 2 TB to 4 TB, I could justify the increased cost. An additional $8 a month just for the ability to share access to a 2 TB Dropbox account makes no logical sense. That's a 60% increase in cost. Let's compare Dropbox Family to other "family" subscriptions I use. 1Password is $3 a month for a single user and $5 a month for a family plan. With that increased cost, my family members get full use of their own password vaults. In comparison to Dropbox, my family members get no additional benefit in space with my family plan monthly increated costs (Dropbox sells space, not password vaults). Apple Music has a very similar scenario: $10 a month for an individual compared with $15 a month for a family. Again, each family member gets their own music = added benefit. To repeat, my family members on the Dropbox Family plan get no additional benefit with the increased monthly cost.

yar1vn
Helpful | Level 5

I'm completely confused about what this plan offers besides a shared folder.

What exactly are we paying for if it's not more storage?

Dropbox Support told me on Twitter that a single account can pay for everyone else but why does that cost almost double?

If I'm going to pay double, I'll upgrade each account separately and each will get their own 2TB instead of sharing the same space for more money.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @taricco, @yar1vn, the Family plan offers 2 TB shared for up to 6 family members, with a shared family folder, and would cost the equivalent of 2 Dropbox Plus plans under one bill. 

Upgrading 6 separate accounts to Plus would cost more than one Family plan, although they each would have full access to their own 2 TB of quota, separate from one another.

For families that might not require full usage of the quota, then the Family plan would be useful in this instance to share quota without purchasing individual plans.

We appreciate your feedback on the Dropbox Family plan!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

taricco
Helpful | Level 6
Jay, I don’t believe you addressed any of the points I made. An $8 premium is way too high for a family plan without additional benefit (benefit = storage) when comparing “family subscription” services like 1Password and Apple Music.

yar1vn
Helpful | Level 5

That doesn't explain the price difference.

Being able to share storage isn't worth double the price.

footy
Explorer | Level 4

I love dropbox but get the family people in to look at the price, it is way too expensive for a family, who are just trying to pull thing together in a simple file structure and share some photos and videos.

onewil
Helpful | Level 7

Just replying to this to say totally doesn't address the complaints of 75% price increase for no storage increase. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Prince Asare New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    kristofmulier Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?