cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A Private Folder

Is there a way to create a private folder?

Russell R.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It would be great if their was a way to create a private section in your

dropbox, a folder or directory that we can set to invisible and if someone visits 

your dropbox they can not see your private folder, only you can see it when you open your dropbox.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

If the account is shared between several users, they they all will have access to everything. I fear the only way you can keep a folder secure and away from other users eyes is by encrypting it. Boxcryptor do this work and is free up to some size (If I remember well, up to 2GB is free). It's very easy to use:

- create an account in Boxcryptor website and download the software in your pc

- Boxcryptor will create a folder inside dropbox and request a password

- move the files you want to keep confidential into this folder

- content of this folder will be encrypted

- all users with the login information can see the documents but when they opened, the content is encrypted. there you can only have unusable data.

- only the computer with boxcryptor software and key can decrypt the documents (it's transparent to you).

Note: Boxcryptor can be loaded in your smartphone as well

Note2: You need to backup the Boxcryptor key!!! if you lost the key, your data in the encrypted folder is lost forever!

Note3: backup all your data on regular basis into HDD or DVD, etc.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Swackhamer Meeh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I second that.  I work for two different corporate entities owned by the same family trusts, and we have Dropbox Pro set up for each in order to keep the accounts/information completely separate.  Each account is accessed (via shared folders and direct website access) by the same 4-6 people, although I do the actual document adding.  We now need to set up a private section to which only I would have access, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.  What I need to add/keep is not really large enough for a separate Dropbox account, so I'd like to be able to do so within one of the existing accounts.

Any possibility of such a thing?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No as thats simply not how Dropbox is designed to work I'm afraid. Dropbox is not designed, or intended, to work with multiple people using 1 account (security reasons more than anything). Each person should have their own folder and then share the data between accounts. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Swackhamer Meeh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Pity.  We set it up because our multiple users are scattered across the country (and one international), so Dropbox is the most efficient way to give everyone access to the corporate files.  Now I need to stash something because I'm losing data (files are becoming corrupted) on the flash drive I've been using for storage, but the amount of stuff is so small that it hardly seems worth setting up even a free Dropbox account.

Oh, well--it was an idea.

Thanks.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

why you just don't create a shared folder and shared with another dropbox user. put in the shared folder everything you want to share.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

Another option I want to share with you. You can install BoxCryptor (free up to 2GB) for your dropbox. Boxcryptor create an encrypted folder. You can access the specified folder only if you have the password. https://www.boxcryptor.com/en

Swackhamer Meeh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

All the folders are currently shared; I'm trying to figure out a way to create a folder that can't be accessed by the other users.  Since they all have the login information, they can--at least in theory--access all the folders on the website, but I need one that contains files they shouldn't see.  Thanks to your suggestion about Boxcryptor, there might be a way to do that, and I appreciate that.  Thanks!

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

If the account is shared between several users, they they all will have access to everything. I fear the only way you can keep a folder secure and away from other users eyes is by encrypting it. Boxcryptor do this work and is free up to some size (If I remember well, up to 2GB is free). It's very easy to use:

- create an account in Boxcryptor website and download the software in your pc

- Boxcryptor will create a folder inside dropbox and request a password

- move the files you want to keep confidential into this folder

- content of this folder will be encrypted

- all users with the login information can see the documents but when they opened, the content is encrypted. there you can only have unusable data.

- only the computer with boxcryptor software and key can decrypt the documents (it's transparent to you).

Note: Boxcryptor can be loaded in your smartphone as well

Note2: You need to backup the Boxcryptor key!!! if you lost the key, your data in the encrypted folder is lost forever!

Note3: backup all your data on regular basis into HDD or DVD, etc.

Swackhamer Meeh
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is massively helpful--thank you!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?