Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Bootcamp Windows 10 Install Dropbox won't sync

Level 5

Hello, all.

I have a clean, new Windows 10 installation from Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro 2018 machine. I have no other peripherals or programs installed except the default Windows 10 programs and settings.

I have good internet access and network connectivity. No problems there. When I install Dropbox, though, the app never syncs. It just spins and spins, telling me it's syncing.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Uninstall and reinstall. No luck.

2. Log out and log back in. No luck.

3. Perform Dropbox advanced reinstall (as per Dropbox.com guidlines). No luck.

4. Reinstall Windows 10. No luck.

5. Choose selective sync and only sync one tiny folder with 125 files and about 80MB of material. Left it running all night. No luck.

6. Put small text file into local Dropbox folder to see if it will upload. No luck.

7. Delete Dropbox folder and restart Windows 10. No luck.

8. Change Dropbox folder location while Dropbox is running. No luck.

9. Change Dropbox folder location during new / clean install. No luck.

10. Call tech support. No luck.

11. Email tech support. No luck (haven't heard back a solution yet).

Using Dropbox is critical to my workflow, and it's been two days, and I can't seem to figure this out. I should note that I have Drobox running on Windows 7, Macbook Pro (Mojave), and Mac Pro (Sierra)--all with zero problems. Yet my clean install on Windows 10 simply won't work.

Any other ideas? Thanks!! 

5 Replies

Re: Bootcamp Windows 10 Install Dropbox won't sync

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Phontaine), while this isn’t currently a supported configuration, you can have a look at my recommendations below that could be of assistance: 

Spoiler
For starters, it would be worth noting that for Dropbox to work correctly, it needs to be installed in an Operating System that’s not part of a Shared Session. If installing into a virtual environment, it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual desktop or virtual machine and only accessed by that user account. The Dropbox folder should also be located on the same mounted drive that is running the virtual machine or virtual desktop.

Please be aware that if you install Dropbox on a virtual machine or virtual desktop that are non-persistent, such that they are reset on a schedule or after logging off, Dropbox may be logged out and need to resync everytime this occurs.
That said, I’ve been able to locate your open support tickets on our system & I can see that my colleagues have been awaiting your next message. I’ve made sure to include a copy of your comments, in order to gather all relevant details in one email chain. Please include all additional questions you may have on that discussion, as they have direct access to your account on our tools. 

I hope that this gets resolved soon for you & I’m always here in case you’d need further assistance in any way!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

You mentioned that virtual machines don't work with Dropbox. I'm not using a virtual machine. I'm using Bootcamp. It's a full installation of Windows 10, not a virtual machine like VirtualBox, Parallels, or Wine.

Also, I should note that the very first installation of Windows 10 I did, Dropbox actually worked. The problem was that I had partitioned the hard drive WAY too small, and so I had to reinstall Windows 10. I have not been able to get Dropbox to work since. It just spins.

You mentioned that "I’ve been able to locate your open support tickets on our system & I can see that my colleagues have been awaiting your next message." Why are they awaiting my next message? What are they waiting for?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me on this discussion & taking the time to clarify matters for me (@Phontaine)! It was my initial understanding that you were running the two OSs using Parallels, however I have a better understanding after re-reading your last message. 

Since I can see that your request has currently reached our higher-level technicians, it would be best for you to continue this discussion there, as they’ve got more advanced tools at their disposal & they could best determine where the issue lies for your setup or settings. Please include all relevant details on that email chain & rest assured that they’ll do their best to follow-up on the matter. Thanks again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 5

Just to follow up on this thread, I finally fixed the problem by quitting Dropbox, and then restarting it as an admin. I right clicked the .exe and chose 'run as admin' (or something like that; I'm away from my computer so I don't know). It didn't start working immediately, but I left it for the night and in the morning it was syncing properly. I don't know how long it took because I didn't babysit it, but it did work.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future who has a similar problem.

Dropboxer
Great to hear @Phontaine & thanks for letting us know! I’ve gone ahead & marked your last comment as the Best Answer, as it may be useful to other users having the same question in the future.

Please feel free to ping us back in case you have any further inquiries; our Community Wall is always open to your feedback or questions. Thanks for choosing Dropbox & take care until we talk again!

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Bootcamp Windows 10 Install Dropbox won't sync
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution