cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I open password protected Word documents stored in my Dropbox account?

Why can't I open password protected Word documents stored in my Dropbox account?

Jamie S.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a Word document that I uploaded years ago and it has ALWAYS had a Word password protection associated with it. I have never had any trouble opening it in the past, but I tried opening it today and Word Online comes up with a message "Sorry, Word Online can't open this document for editing because it is protected by a password. To edit this document, please open it in Microsoft Word." I'm trying to do that, but there is no option to open it in Word. Help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked for me (after scratching my head forever):

After you double click to open the file the first time from dropbox, then go to the upper right of the screen where it says: "Share", "Open",  "..." and a conversation balloon.  Click on the  "...",  then click "Download".  You can enter your password, make changes, then resave in dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Michele C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am equally as frustrated and haven't figured this out either -- thinking of cancelling my subscription and requesting a refund given this is one of the main reasons I decided to use Dropbox over other alternatives including Google Drive.

Stephen C.17
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I too am frustrated by this oversight. A cumbersome workaround is to download the protected file, then open it in Word (or EXCEL). It will be protected, but a copy will now reside in the Download folder. This just adds steps and defeats the purpose of the Dropbox protection. Come on, Dropbox/Microsoft, fix this.

Terry M B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I see that the comments above are from over a year ago, but I am still encountering the problem now. I wanted to use dropbox for work but since I get sent password protected files as a matter of routine this means Dropbox is not an option. Surely Dropbox should have the ability to come up with a proper solution as the 'work around' is just ridiculous.

Raimey G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently had to wipe my computer, but now when I try to open password protected documents from Dropbox, it doesn't even provide me with the prompt window to enter my password. No error. Just a blank screen. I've tried emailing the documents to myself. I've also tried opening from the dropbox website as well as from the app that is downloaded to my computer. Nothing is working. I can open the documents on other computers. Just not this one. I found a thread that said it might have something to do with the Norton plug in for Microsoft, but a Norton expert tried reconfiguring as well as uninstalling/reinstalling. Nothing worked. My dropbox on this computer also isn't pulling my most recent versions. I had to unpassword protect a document. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Sagar B.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am also unable to Open a password-protected Word document from dropbox.com website. The iOS app connects to Microsoft Office on iOS and needs Subscription to be able edit this. So basically I have no way of editing my document now. This is ridiculous, and shocking that they haven't fixed this since the last 1 year.
Does anybody know how to bring this to their attention?

PV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked for me (after scratching my head forever):

After you double click to open the file the first time from dropbox, then go to the upper right of the screen where it says: "Share", "Open",  "..." and a conversation balloon.  Click on the  "...",  then click "Download".  You can enter your password, make changes, then resave in dropbox.

Ludmila7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Excellent!  Thank goodness for your help!  I had not experienced difficulty in opening a password protected document on Dropbox before.

Ludmila

alli111
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same thing for me. But interestingly I can open it from my mobile app. Makes no sense...frustrated. 

sandidiana
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having this exact same issue.  Everything worked fine before my laptop crashed, and ever since it was reimaged I cannot open Word docs that are password protected.  I have tried on my laptop AND OTHER COMPUTERS with the exact same issue.  I tried the workaround of downloading it to my computer (more than once computer) but it never prompts me for my password - it does nothing at all other than sort of open up MS Word.  How has no solution been found for this yet?  I NEED this document and am beyond frustrated.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sandidiana New member | Level 2
    alli111 New member | Level 2
    Ludmila7 New member | Level 2
    PV New member | Level 2
    Sagar B.3 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?