cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't uninstall Dropbox from Windows 10

Can't uninstall Dropbox from Windows 10

AHolyoake
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been trying to uninstall Dropbox from my laptop, it's a HP with Windows 10 Pro. I've unlinked it from the Dropbox website but it's still taking up space in my laptop. I've also uninstalled the app from my laptop but it still shows up in my file explorer. I did a bit of research and other people have been able to right click the Dropbox icon and uninstall it that way but it doesn't show up in my start menu so I'm not able to do it that way. I've restarted my computer too, just to be sure but that hasn't helped. 

Anyone got any ideas? My laptop storage is nearly full 😞

This is where it's showing up when I look at my storage. There is no way to uninstall it, only open it:

dropbox-issue1.PNG

This is what happens when I right click on it in explorer:

dropbox-issue2.png

When I open the Start menu I can't see it there:

dropbox-issue3.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ernstMreicher58
Super User
Go to solution

@AHolyoake wrote:

Thank you! Does that mean it won't get deleted from the cloud? 

Hopefully not!!!!

Just uninstalling on a device must not mean that the account is fully deleted!!!

Perhaps you just wanted to uninstall on this hardware and install on another!!!

To permanently delete your account you have to go to the web interface (www.dropbox.com) and log in with your user/pasword and go to settings and then second tab from left. Far down at the bottom you find: "Delete my personal Dropbox" or something like that depending on your language....

BUT THEN ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE DELTETED AND YOUR ACCOUNT IS CANCELED!!!!!!

Account_-_Dropbox.png

Falls Ihnen meine Antwort gefallen oder geholfen hat, können Sie mir ein "Kudo" (Like) geben oder "Als Lösung akzeptieren" anklicken.
If you like my answer or find it helpful you could give me a "Kudo" (Like) or click at "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

ernstMreicher58
Super User
Go to solution

Don´t mix up Dropbox application and Dropbox folder.

As I understand you uninstalled the Dropbox application.

The folder with the name Dropbox still exists!

It is just a folder like any other folders on your computer.

Rename it, delete it, move the files anywhere, handle it as any other folder.....

Falls Ihnen meine Antwort gefallen oder geholfen hat, können Sie mir ein "Kudo" (Like) geben oder "Als Lösung akzeptieren" anklicken.
If you like my answer or find it helpful you could give me a "Kudo" (Like) or click at "Accept as Solution"

AHolyoake
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

ernstMreicher58
Super User
Go to solution

@AHolyoake wrote:

Hopefully not!!!!

Just uninstalling on a device must not mean that the account is fully deleted!!!

Perhaps you just wanted to uninstall on this hardware and install on another!!!

To permanently delete your account you have to go to the web interface (www.dropbox.com) and log in with your user/pasword and go to settings and then second tab from left. Far down at the bottom you find: "Delete my personal Dropbox" or something like that depending on your language....

BUT THEN ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE DELTETED AND YOUR ACCOUNT IS CANCELED!!!!!!

Account_-_Dropbox.png

tomjs1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Here is how to Uninstall an update in windows 10

1 – Press windows key + i to go to settings control panel of windows 10. You can also click on the window start icon and click on settings.

2 – Once you reach the setting control panel. just click on update & security in the menu.

2 – Now in the next screen, in the right side click on the link in the light gray which says Advanced options.

3 – Next click on view update history.

4 – Now click on uninstall updates located at the top.

5 -Now select an update of windows 10 from the list and double click on it. Confirm the uninstall. The selected update will get uninstalled.

Source:- https://merabheja.com/how-to-uninstall-an-update-in-windows-10/

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

tomjs1 Explorer | Level 3
    ernstMreicher58 Super User
    AHolyoake New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?