Cannot Install Dropbox Update

SOLVED
45 Comments
20 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4

Cannot Install Dropbox Update

Hi

Currently having a problem installing the latest update to dropbox.

When I run the installer nothing appears to happen, not even an error message. Ive tried disabling the firewall and antivirus, and even used the offline installer, but still nothing shows up.

Is there a way to check if there is an error any logs?

Thanks

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 6

Re: Cannot Install Dropbox Update

Something you mentioned threw up a red flag... "Boxifier".

I just uninstalled Boxifier (rather than just stopping its services) and... Now the Dropbox installer runs. Bingo! It's obviously created quite a PITA now in my file structure, because Dropbox is currently trying to synchronise everything again, and Boxifier has left behind a couple of symlinks which I hope Dropbox is able to deal with, without downloading and duplicating everything that was in those folders.

I'm in two minds about all this - on one hand, it was (likely) third-party software that caused a problem here, so not Dropbox's fault, but I'd still really like to know why the Dropbox installer can't give *some* clues when it just drops out of existence. There was also no Boxifier update directly before this happened - it was triggered by the Dropbox "too old - must upgrade" message.

Right now I'm not going to try and install Boxifier again - it's painful enough watching Dropbox re-index and (according to the tray icon) re-sync 65,000 files, despite it being a Dropbox folder with a .dropbox file in there which should really have just said "oh hello again" and realised everything is the same. Oh well...

[EDIT] Since this is the accepted solution, and others may find it - it's possible to solve this without uninstalling Boxifier. A "feature" of Boxifier which is enabled by default, is to block Dropbox updates. This can be disabled via checkbox, allowing the Dropbox installers to run as normal - Refer to this comment: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Cannot-Install-Dropbox-Update/m-p/20258.... Hat-tip Indigo1017

45 Replies
Level 5

I have the same problem. In addition to what's described above, when I run the update installer it causes DB to shut down.
Level 2

Same problem. Running Windows 10. Disabled AntiVirus. Nothing.

Have downloaded this a few times already and even uninstalled. Still nothing.

Please help!
Level 2

Same exact problem. Submitted a support ticket, but haven't heard back yet.
Level 5

I am having a similar problem here, the Dropbox setup update screen displays stating that I am using an older version of dropbox and that I should update.  However, when I attempt to run the installer nothing happens. If I close the update request window dropbox closes and I have no back-up.  

Level 4

Same here. I even had an ouside expert look my PC. He could either help and is lookin the case. Hessu

Level 6

Same here and this is infuriating because:

1. Tried to update - failed
2. Tried offline installer - failed
3. Uninstalled - repeat 2, failed
4. Remove shell extensions, hack registry, delete a bunch of files via CMD - repeat 2, failed

So now I am without Dropbox (which I use extensively to sync work across devices) on my main PC and I've possibly also messed up my registry and extensions.

I thought maybe they'd released a bad update - but I tried an old update file from a while ago and that one also fails the same way (silent, no errors, etc.) so I wonder if it is a "phone home" issue and the installers are just instructed to "die" if they can't contact a server and verify something.
Level 5

I have now tried offline installations for various older versions of dropbox which are running happily on other machines.  However, I cannot get any of these versions to install on my current PC that was running dropbox earlier.  Somehow this machine's ability to install dropbox appears to have been corrupted.  I guess this is probably a registry issue but have no idea how to proceed.   I have submitted a support ticket but yet to hear back. 

Level 4

i have the same problem, and i made everething that is in the blog, what should we do for dropbox answer?

the only thing that they told me is restart, offline update, and nothing works, i use dropbox every day and this is a problem for me.

Level 2

Exactly same problem in windows 7, any new idea?