cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot establish a secure connection

Cannot establish a secure connection

Halil A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Your computer will compare your system date to the expiration date of our SSL certificate. If your system time is stuck in the past or so far in the future that it is outside of Dropbox's SSL certificate expiration date, a secure connection will not be established. This is easily corrected by changing your system time to the current date...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There isn't anything for Dropbox to fix. Issues such as this are almost always caused by something specific to the computer, and are not a wider Dropbox issue that they have control over.

Possible causes are antivirus or firewalls interfering with the connection, incorrect date and time settings, etc. See the following help article for more information.

https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing 

View solution in original post

wdalston
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In updated and related news, I went into settings and turned off Proxy. Bingo! Now DropBox is updating automatically. (This despite the corporate firewall that evidently exists, or maybe I just imagined that.)

Either way, your suggestions are much appreciated.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

... ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

QhillBoi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
October 2017.....Needing DropBoxTechSupport to come up with a fix for this issue.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There isn't anything for Dropbox to fix. Issues such as this are almost always caused by something specific to the computer, and are not a wider Dropbox issue that they have control over.

Possible causes are antivirus or firewalls interfering with the connection, incorrect date and time settings, etc. See the following help article for more information.

https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing 

TexTech
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am glad to see someone else is currently having this problem as well.  Despite what one reply says, I do not think the problem is with my computer.  I am not using any of the anti-virus they list and I am not going through any proxies.  Specifically, I have gotten the message that my date/time is incorrect and that is why a connection could not be established.  Yet I verified at TIME.GOV that my system date and time are absolutely current and correct.  Now this is a "cleaned" used computer I bought recently and it is running Windows 7 Pro.  Is Dropbox having issues with this older release of Windows? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No it isnt as long as you are running a recent version of Dropbox from www.dropbox.com/downloading.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

TexTech wrote:

Is Dropbox having issues with this older release of Windows? 

No. Windows 7 is still a supported operating system. I have Windows 7 computers using Dropbox without a problem.

langsstangs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This has worked flawlessly on all my computers for over 2 years.  Now Im getting this error and cant fix it.  Ive tried reinstalling, ive tried using your troubleshooting.  The date and time are spot on. I dont run virus protection, only windows defender, as i dont surf the web on this computer. Something is not right.  Its a surface 4 pro with windows 10.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox Preferences have the Proxy setting set to No Proxy?

wdalston
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This has nothing to do with my computer. The date and time are set via a push from our corporate servers. Hell, I cannot even change the date on my box myself, anyway, due to log-in permissions. (Yes, our corporate security is somewhat, "zealous."  Still, DropBox should not be giving me this error, since the date and time shown *ARE* correct.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

stevewrightuk Explorer | Level 3
    jamesbnh New member | Level 2
    Eletros Explorer | Level 4
    wdalston Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?