cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
23 Comments
11 Likes
Level 1

Cannot login on Dropbox Desktop Setup App

I uninstalled and reinstalled my Dropbox Desktop app (after a Windows 10 upgrade because Dropbox wasn't working well with Win10).  Now when the app runs I get the Dropbox Setup login screen.  I type in the right credentials and it immediately goes into a spinning white circle as if it's running through setup. After 6 hours of letting run, I gave up. I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling several times but nothing seems to work.

BTW, I have after every uninstall I have removed the %LOCALDATA% AND %LOCALAPPDATA% Dropbox folders, as instructed by a DROPBOXER here on the site.  But nothing seems to help.  I am running the Dropbox 3.8.6 desktop install on a Windows 10 machine.

Any ideas?

23 Replies
Highlighted
Level 1

Re: Cannot login on Dropbox Desktop Setup App

... I can log in to www.dropbox.com with the same credentials just fine.  So the issue has to be on Dropbox Desktop client and perhaps its compatibility with Windows 10.

Dropboxer

Hey Abner, can you try build 3.8.8? We've attempted to fix a few connectivity issues, and this may resolve the situation for you.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/204685739-Stable-Build-3-8-8

Thanks!

Max

Level 1

I installed Dropbox 3.8.8 build and I am still having the same connectivity issue.  The Desktop Setup window comes up initially and asks me to log in.  When I type in my credentials, the Desktop Setup window goes into an spinning white circle infinitely.  After two hours of spinning around I shut down the install. The setup process doesn't complete.  I followed the uninstall procedure outlined here https://www.dropbox.com/help/41.  Please advise.

Dropboxer

Level 1

I tried installing the experimental build 3.9.36 but the issue remains.  I get the Dropbox Desktop Setup Sign-in screen and once I enter my credentials the dialog goes into an infinite spinning circle/wheel as if to suggest it is trying to connect, but can't.  Please advise.

Level 1

John L,

Any update on this?  I have been without Dropbox for three weeks now.  I assumed that the Dropbox people would have a fix by now. Many people are having the same issues I am having after upgrading to Windows 10.  Is there a time horizon for this to be fixed?

Thanks,

Abner

Dropboxer

Hi Abner,

Sorry about that.  I've disabled updates for your account.  Can you see if things are working on 3.6.7 for you?

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203985085-Stable-Build-3-6-7

--John

Level 1

John,

This version does not work either. Here is what I have done so far (please read in detail). 

- I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Dropbox installation about a dozen times (I've installed 3.6.6, 3.6.7, 3.8.8, 3.9.36... none of these have worked.)

- I have downloaded these different versions from both the Dropbox web site as well as the Microsoft Store.

- I have deleted the Dropbox folder after EVERY UNINSTALL located in %appdata% and %localappdata% directories (as your documentation suggests).

- I have also deleted the C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox folder after every uninstall so as to remove any remnants of the previous install.

- I have also rebooted my machine after every uninstall.

- I have tried both the online and offline installs.

One the Dropbox Setup screen appears on my desktop and I enter my credentials, it never connects to the server. Hence, after I enter my credentials (email address and password) I get the everlasting spinning white circle in the Dropbox Setup log-in window.

My system tray shows the Dropbox icon but it says "Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account..." while the spinning circle endlessly spins in the Dropbox Setup window.

When I log on via my browser, I go to the settings, security tab and I don't see my machine listed on the

Level 1

(continued)

When I log on via my browser, I don't see my machine listed in my list of devices.  It used to say "DELLBOOK_XPS" (that's my machine name).

Please advise what else I can do.  I feel like I need to work with someone from Dropbox to resolve this issue, not just via email.  If there is a cost for this level of support, please let me know... At this point, and given by the multitude of people encountering this problem, it's safe to say your latest version(s) of Dropbox do not work with the Windows 10 environment.

Please advise...

Sincerely,

Abner

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community