cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click on Dropbox Icon Does Not Open Folder

Click on Dropbox Icon Does Not Open Folder

Dr.Shannon
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

When I click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray, it usually launches the folder. However, as of this morning, both of my computers will not respond when I double click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray. I have to go to the desktop and click on the folder. I would like to be able to click on the icon in the system tray to open the Dropbox folder. Is this still possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

That feature has disappeared!

That feature has not disappeared. Double-clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) still opens the Dropbox folder. A single-click will open the Dropbox app.

If this isn't happening for you, download the latest release and uninstall/reinstall.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Lana P.1
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there,

I hope you are well.

Yes it should be possible. Have you tried to restart your computer?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Have a lovely day.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

However, as of this morning, both of my computers will not respond when I double click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray.

That functionality has changed. Double-clicking the icon no longer opens the Dropbox folder. See here for more information:

Carlos C.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found that double click so usefull to quickly go to my dropbox!!

I think dropbox is making a mistake removing this feature. Now it takes more steps to access your dropbox folder.

I hope they realise it is anoying and they fix it back.

Bye. 

Hank P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Adding my severe disappointment that double click to open folder was removed. I've been double clicking this icon for the last few days thinking something was wrong when it wouldn't respond. After multiple restarts and Dropbox reinstalls, I finally thought to myself: "Maybe they are silly enough to remove a useful feature? I can't imagine this would happen, but let's check anyway..."

and here we are! One search brought me many threads and many posts of people complaining about this change.

Please revert this change. It serves no real purpose. Platform consistency? If it we were still in the days of single button mice on Macs would you prevent windows users from right clicking in your program just so Mac users can have platform consistency? Platform consistency has to be one of the absolute worst reasons to remove a useful UX feature. "Well, our Mac and Linux users don't have this great feature, maybe we should remove it from Windows!" Is that really what happened here? I cannot fathom how that thought made it all the way to actual, real, push-to-live release state!

Most importantly: why on earth did you hide access to the main feature of Dropbox (your local Dropbox folder) behind an extra click-and-navigate movement? And which project manager thought making it harder to access the most important product of your company behind an extra mouse move was a good idea? Ignore the whole aspect of platform consistency and ask yourself why Dropbox thought it would be a good change to make it harder to access the Dropbox folder on a users computer. I would love to hear the reply to that, even if you ignore the ridiculousness of platform consistency being the reason to remove a feature.

Dr.Shannon
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you for confirming that the new build no longer has this feature. I was beginning to think that there was a problem with my installation. It is such a small feature, but it is convenient. Reminiscent of  what something Google or Microsoft might do - making features less user friendly.

z3razerviper
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What a STUPID Change its made the app almost unusable.

Dr.Shannon
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It's back. I am now suddenly able to double click on the system tray icon to launch my Dropbox folder. If this change has occurred as a result of the user feedback on this forum, I am very happy about that. This is a very convenient feature. 

Has anyone else noticed that they can now click on the Dropbox icon in the system try to launch the folder?

Carlos C.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks dropbox for fixing this.

Now this functionality is back in place. Everything is fine then!

Regards

Carlos

Tom O.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

When I go to send a Dropbox attachment (running google chrome) on my desktop the Dropbox is solid blue and it won't open my files. It keeps sending me back to the windows store to fix the problem but nothing gets fixed. I running windows 8.1. It did work at one time. What has changed?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    seckhoff New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?