Are you a Dropbox Business Admin? Check this out

CodeBlocks has trouble saving a new project in the Dropbox directory

SOLVED
4 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 3

CodeBlocks has trouble saving a new project in the Dropbox directory

We're running CodeBlocks 17.12, and desktop Dropbox v41.4.8 on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

When CodeBlocks tries to save a new project anywhere in the Dropbox hierarchy it gives the error:

"Warning  Couldn't save project (Maybe the file ws write-protected?)"

It only gives the error once and it appears that it has actually saved the project.

It only happens while Dropbox is running.

Other programs have no problem saving files to the Dropbox directory and its subdirectories.

Have fun,

Your friend Vorbly

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: CodeBlocks has trouble saving a new project in the Dropbox directory

Hey @Vorbly U.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I honestly don’t think that we’ll be able to find a resolution with this, but I’m happy to mention it to our team. 

Before I do, just to make sure I’ve understood correctly: the file does in fact get saved, even though you receive an error the first time you save in each session. Yes?! 

Cheers

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

4 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey @Vorbly U. thanks for sharing this and sorry about the delayed follow up! slightly smiling face

To break things down and take everything bit-by-bit:

• For starters, it’s always best to be up-to-date with the latest Dropbox desktop app version, which is: 42.4.114 - https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/bd-p/101003016

• Also, did you just recently start experiencing issues with saving your projects from CodeBlocks to Dropbox? 
    • Was it after any recent OS updates made, or are you aware of this behavior starting to occur after any changes recently made on your device?

• Are you able to save the projects in any other location on your device’s hard drive, and then move them into Dropbox manually (when the project is no longer open/ being accessed? 
    • Does doing this still result in error or not?

You also mentioned that It only gives the error once and it appears that it has actually saved the project.

Does this mean that despite the error message you receive, the project does in fact successfully get saved in your Dropbox folder, or not? 

Thanks in advance, Vorbly - looking forward to hearing back from you with any updates and additional info on this matter! 

---------------------------------------------------------

If this post answers your question please Accept as Solution White check mark slightly smiling face

If you found this helpful, your
Kudos are appreciated! Unicorn

Level 3

Hi @Karina,

I updated to the latest desktop app version, 42.4.114. No change there, but it makes sense to be checking it with the latest version.

I did just recently start experiencing this, but that is because I only recently started using CodeBlocks. It has always happened with CodeBlocks, while I've been using it. Using CodeBlocks is the change that happened before this started to occur.

I can save a project at another location on my hard drive and then move it into Dropbox. It doesn't matter whether it's still open in CodeBlocks or not: either way it does not result in an error.

Despite the error message I receive, the project does in fact successfully get saved in my Dropbox folder.

I posted a similar query in the CodeBlocks forums and receivied a somewhat enlightening answer:

codeblocks uses this strategy to save a file:
1) create a temp file and save the content 
2) copy the temp file over the actual file
3) remove the temp file

This is the most save strategy to save files. Dropbox can make a lot conflicts with this strategy:
in step 2) block the actual file from the copy, because it is indexing
in step 3) block the temp file from deleting, because of indexing

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,22382.msg152376.html#msg152376

@BlueHazzard said "i think there is a setting to configure the save strategy somewhere in the settings" of CodeBlocks, but I couldn't find one that affected the relevant behavior. BlueHazzard also suggest that Dropbox may have an "ignore file? You can try to add the temp file to the ignore file list...." Dropbox does not appear to have such an ignore file (although I did read about a hack that wouldn't work for a whole file type). Smart Sync sounded possible, but didn't turn out to be useful in this case.

Posting a link to this in my CodeBlocks reply.

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Solution
Dropboxer

Hey @Vorbly U.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I honestly don’t think that we’ll be able to find a resolution with this, but I’m happy to mention it to our team. 

Before I do, just to make sure I’ve understood correctly: the file does in fact get saved, even though you receive an error the first time you save in each session. Yes?! 

Cheers

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 3

Correct, the file is saved, even though I receive the error.

And I feel that this is pretty much resolved. You guys now know about a minor conflict with an app and can address that, or work with them to avoid it, as you like.

I feel like I got enough support.

Thanks,

Dave