Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

32 Comments
9 Likes
Highlighted
Level 9

Copying from Network to Dropbox Folder very Slow

I have a bizzare issue that perhaps someone can shed some light on, but first, some setup details.

I have  a Windows 10 Computer with three physical drives : one HDD and two SSD's

C: = AData SP550 120GB SSD

D: = WD 250GB HDD

T: = AData SP550 120 GB SSD

C Drive is the OS

D Drive is my working and data drive

T Drive has the Dropbox folder on it (its the only thing on that drive). I have it on a different drive so that "copy files" is the default for drag and drop rather than "move files" (I learned a hard lesson before I set it up this way).

The computer is connected to a wired network with several other computers

Now the problem I have is that whenever I copy files from the network to the Dropbox folder, the file transfer is dreadfully slow. Transfer to anywhere else on T: drive is fine. Some examples ( I made up a folder of twenty 1mb files, and started timing how long they took to copy.

C: to D: or C: to T: or D: to T: (and in reverse)  = less than 5 seconds

Network to C; or D; or T: (and in reverse) = less than 7 seconds

C; or D; to Dropbox Folder (and in reverse) = less than 5 seconds

Network to Dropbox Folder = 7 minutes 31 seconds (in reverse less than 7 seconds)

Thinking that it might be a network congestion problem due to Dropbox syncing the files at the same time, as they were being copied, I tried two things

1. Paused syncing

2. Closed the Dropbox app

Neither of these steps fixed rthe problem.

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
32 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Copying from Network to Dropbox Folder very Slow

Hey there @Photo O. - thank you for your elaborate message and providing all this info, I appreciate it.

As I would like to have a further look into this for you with all of our tools available, I went ahead and reached out to you via email. Could you please check your inbox and get back to me there? 

Thanks in advance and I am really looking forward to your response. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 9

I have replied to your email as requested.

Now looking forward to hearing from you as regards any solution you might have.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Photo O. - how are you today?

As I wasn't able to see any updates on my last email, I went ahead and sent you another one. Could you please check your inbox and reply to me there? 

Thanks in advance!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

Hi @Walter, @Photo O.

I have the same problem. Have you solved this ?

I copy files from dropbox folder to other location while dropbox is syncing, it's very slow.

When sync process is ended or dropbox is closed, everything is normal.

Best regards!

Dropboxer

Hey @TungNguyen - thanks for letting me know about this. How are you today?

First things first now, can you let me know if you are running our desktop application on a supported configuration from the ones listed here? Also, have you tried changing your bandwidth settings to see if this will improve the syncing process? Is by any chance your inquiry specifically our LAN sync feature maybe?  

Moreover, bear in mind that all of our servers are located in the US and your final connection speed to Dropbox depends on the routing you get between your ISP and our servers, and may be slower than your ISP's rated speeds. 

In addition, another thing to consider here is the number of your files inside your Dropbox Folder as the performance of the Dropbox application starts to decline after reaching about 300,000 files. You can read more about this issue in this Help Center article and use Selective Sync to counter this. 

I hope this helps to get you started Tung. Let me know what you find after my suggestions and we'll take it from there. 

@Photo O. Hey there - did you get the chance to check your inbox for my email? 

Walter

Level 4

Hi @Walter,

That problem happened when I installed dropbox desktop app in window server 2016. Now I am using Window 10, that does not happen any more.

I have share a dropbox folder at my campus for file sharing purpose. However, with Window 10, it limits the number of people getting access to the shared folder at the same time. Could you tell me how to solve sync & copy problem in window server 2016 ?

Thank for your support.

Level 9

Walt3R

I did reply to your email, and I followed the instructions it contained

The problem I am having is not anything to do with internet servers in the US. This is my internal network. I'll re-describe the problem

Computer #1 is a Windows 10 Machine. It has 2xSSD and 1xHDD.  It has Dropbox installed and the Dropbox folder is on its own drive SSD (Drive Tslightly smiling face

Computer #2 is a Windows XP machine which has 1xHDD. This computer is a "turnkey" Digital Control Module that cannot be upgraded due to software and hardware constraints)

These two computers are networked together with several other computers, and I am using a folder containing 20 images totalling around 20MB for testing.  Here are the results using drag and drop to copy

a. When I copy from any drive to any other drive between the two computers and from drive to drive on Computer #1, the copy process completes in about 5 seconds.

b. When I Copy from the Dropbox folder to any other drive on Computer #1 or to the drive on Computer #2 (or to any other Computer on the network),  the copy process completes in about 5 seconds.

c. When I Copy to the Dropbox folder from any other drive on Computer #1 the copy process completes in about 5 seconds.

d. However, when I copy to the Dropbox folder from Computer #2 (or from any drive on the other computers on the network),   the copy process takes over 7 minutes to complete.

Here is what I have tried to do to fix the problem

1. Turn off syncing - no change

2. Shut down Dropbox - no change

3. Move the Dropbox folder to a different drive - no change

But what is really doing my head in is that if I go to another computer on the network, we'll call it Computer #3, when I copy from the drive on Computer #2 to the Dropbox Folder on Computer #1, the copy process completes in about 10 seconds!!!

I'm baffled!

Dropboxer

Hey there @Photo O. & @TungNguyen - thanks for the updates. 

@Photo O. I am sorry but I haven't received any email from you yet ( on neither of the emails I have sent you) - could you try one more time and let me know here how it goes?

Moreover, please note that unfortunately, the setup you use does not meet the minimum requirements for the Dropbox application since:

( @TungNguyen )1. Windows Server operating systems are not currently supported and 

2. XP support has been deprecated since late June of 2016. 

You can find the list of operating systems that Dropbox supports in this Help Center article. 

Let me know if you have the chance to reproduce this behavior on a supported configuration and we'll take it from there. Thank you both! 

PS: Quick question on your last inquiry @TungNguyen : Can you elaborate on the limitation you mentioned just to make sure we're on the same page? 

Walter

Level 9

@Walter

"Moreover, please note that unfortunately, the setup you use does not meet the minimum requirements for the Dropbox application since:

2. XP support has been deprecated since late June of 2016. "

Did you actually READ the whole of my post, or did you just gloss over it and ignore it after it said "Win XP"

If you actually did read it, you would have seen that Dropbox is installed on a WINDOWS 10 COMPUTER. You do support Dropbox installations on Windows 10 don't you?

The fact that one of the other computers on the network is a Windows XP computer MAKES NO DIFFERENCE because Drobox is not installed on it. The OS on the network computers make no difference, they could be Linux based or Mac or even Win 98. The problem is with the Dropbox installation on Computer #1 which uses  Windows 10. And in any case, there are other computers on the network that are Win 7 and Win 10, and I have exactly the same problem copying from them to the Dropbox folder on Computer #1

I'm sorry for the yelling, but I get very annoyed with support personell who don't read posts properly and then assume stuff without fully understnding what has been posted. Please go back a read the whole post properly.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post