cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted folders keep reappearing

Deleted folders keep reappearing

Adam L.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I have been using Dropbox for a few years across a number of devices (2 desktop Macs, a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad). This last week, when I try to delete a folder it reappears a moment later. If I move it into another folder, the same thing happens. I have checked and all my other devices are switched off or not trying to sync while I am doing this. Any advice on how to stop it?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The web interface should only recreate the folder if a device connected instructs it to.

So one of your devices must not be selectively synced, or has some greater issue.

(1) Check each device to see if the folder is present on the device, and remove it. If it comes back its not that device that ordered it created. If it wont delete then thats the device that cant delete it so orders it recreated. Fix that device.

(2) Failing that, take all devices off line, delete the folder via the web, then bring devices online one by one, and watch for the folder being created, when it is, it was the device you just brought online.

View solution in original post

83 Replies 83

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

If the folder is empty, insert a file into it, and then delete the folder, this is a known glitch (unknown cause)
If the folder has a file appearing in it, then right click the file and check previous versions, for the machine that is uploading it again, this machine is normally failing to delete the file, and following that finds the file still there so thinks its a new file and uploads it again.

Kristof V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem and it the issue also started recently - I do not recall seeing this earlier. I note that I have just upgraded to PRO.

I hope we will get a good explanation or answer soon.

Kristof V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Note: The issue occurs on the mac but also when deleting in the Dropbox browser interface.

Charles V.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This issue is still happening here too, and the suggestion here failed to resolve it.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Charles V. : I gave advise for an empty folder option, and a file present folder option.

Which do you have?

Just saying you still have it and nothing else wont do anything to help you out, its like ringing 911 after your last call and repeating you need help and hanging up again without an address supplied.

Robert M.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the reappearing folder issue, and in my case, it was caused by deleting the folder on two computers, rather than deleting the folder on one computer, and letting it sync to the other. The folder was filled with subfolders and files, and deleting it on my computer or on the Dropbox site didn't work, it just kept coming back. I finally deleted it by a weird combo of actions, but it may have just required deleting it from my other computer. Not sure if this will aid anyone, but Dropbox Support is pretty helpful, so if you don't get it solved here, contact support! And if support helps you out, can you say what they did, so others can learn from this thread?

Janet H.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Think I found an answer for this. Log on to the browser version. Go to Settings (on the dropdown under your sign in). Click on Security tab. Scroll down until you see your devices. I had several devices listed that I don't use anymore. Once I removed those devices, the delete function started working, both online and on my desktop. You will be able to see if you have such a problem by looking at the last time the device was accessed.

travel r.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have had this happen a few times over several years of using Dropbox. The solutions on this page did not work for me unfortunately - i tried them all. Then i figured I would try saving a new folder with exactly the same name on my desktop, drag it into the Dropbox folder and when prompted 'An item named “_______” already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the one you’re moving?' I chose to 'Replace'.

This allows Dropbox to re-synchronise with a new non corrupted/ non problematic version of the folder, and can be deleted without issue. Hope this helps.

Seetharama D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

If it helps, in my case, it was about presence of folders that I explicitly marked for not syncing. Since there is not .ignore folder for dropbox (AFAIK), it syncs the folder the moment we add, and then we have to go into settings and unselect it for sync. This leaves a copy on the server. To overcome the problem of reappearing parent folder I reincluded the folder I excluded earlier, let it sync, and then deleted the parent folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

harten74 New member | Level 2
    Bensie New member | Level 2
    AmosMoses Explorer | Level 4
    FoxL Explorer | Level 4
    RKPy Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?