Desktop App won't connect to my account anymore

6 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted
a week ago

Desktop App won't connect to my account anymore

[ Edited ]

Hello,

my Dropbox stopped syncing a couple days ago, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Now it can't seem to truly connect to my account anymore.

I type in my info to connect my account and get as far as the "Your dropbox is now ready" screen and through the introduction slides. Then the little dropbox icon in the taskbar vanishes, reappears, and I'm back to the login screen (email and password) as if I hadn't just typed those in.
No syncing has happened either.

I am using Windows 10 and Dropbox 16.4.30.
My netbook and my phone do not have issues with my Dropbox account - this PC only started having them like 2 weeks ago, up until then everything was fine. The web version still works, too.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Diana

See more topics tagged with:

6 Replies
Dropboxer
a week ago

Re: Desktop App won't connect to my account anymore

Hi there, 

Thanks for posting in our forum! 

This issue needs to be addressed by our technicians. Please write to us at http://bit.ly/1K3sAVW so that we can investigate further. 

Thanks

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Wednesday

Thanks for the answer!

I followed your link and - just as it happened when I tried to contact someone the first time (about a month ago, when this problem first arose), I got an automated Email telling me to go to the support website and select the issue that best fit my problem, follow the instructions etc.

As last time, I wrote back saying that unfortunately, I could not find anything remotely close to my problem listed on this list of issues.
And again, I have not heard back since.

Any thoughts on what I could do now?

Level 2
Thursday

I am not even getting the introduction slides. It just says 'trying to connect' (in Spanish).

If I try to install the app after complete removal from W10 (updated) PC the online installer cannot finish the instalation  because it has no internet connection (after it just downloaded installer from that same internet!)

So used the off-line installer that installs but then tries to login supposingly after the installation is finished. The program then just won't start since it cannot make connection to the internet/cannot login to the acount.

But I can browse to whereever I want and I can login to my dropbox account by browser without problem.....

I got the same dropbox version that on  this PC told me to upgrade installed on  several other PC's and in some androids and they all have no issues... only this PC.

This has to be solved. This is my main working station  and if I can't have my files syncd anymore I might as well ditch the whole program from all my systems...

Super User
Thursday

Rudy P. wrote:

I am not even getting the introduction slides. It just says 'trying to connect' (in Spanish).

Something on your computer is blocking Dropbox from accessing the Internet. You need to determine what that is and prevent it from doing so.

Temporarily disable any antivirus or firewall software and try again. Also, if you can get to Dropbox Preferences, check the Proxy settings and ensure that No proxy is selected (assuming you don't use a proxy, of course).

Level 2
Thursday

Well, that something is blocking access is obvious. So we disabled windows firewall, we disabled AV program and made sure no other firewall there. We even removed dropbox from the PC, removed manually all windows register lines that show anything with "dropbox" in it, installed the app again (with firewall and AV still disabled) and although internet access is fine for anyother service, this installation either won't run (no internet!) or installs but then doesn't login (offline install). Also tried your 'proxe server' suggestion but to no help. It still shows the program awaits the login to remote server. Which is weird, since after the clean install it should not know the login details anymore but there is no option to set it. (An the option to logout under account settings is 'greyed' out..)
Level 2
Thursday

Version that now is installed is v17.4.33 if this is of any help...