cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Application Will Not Allow Existing Dropbox Folder to Be Used. Error: "The folder already contains a Dropbox directory."

Desktop Application Will Not Allow Existing Dropbox Folder to Be Used. Error: "The folder already contains a Dropbox directory."

Eric A.5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been a happy user of Dropbox for years. Until recently . . .

Dropbox recently quit working properly. The latest issue today was that it failed to load the "platform plugin windows." The Dropbox popup suggested that I reinstall Dropbox. So . . . I dutifully reinstalled Dropbox as recommended. However, I do not like to have my Dropbox located in the default . . . Users/User/Dropbox location, but on a separate hard drive.

So as soon as Dropbox opens the first time, it starts syncing to the default location (yes, development team, that needs to be fixed too -- please include an initial inquiry on first startup after install to make sure you are using the directory the user actually wants!).

I paused the syncing, opened the Preferences, went to "Account" and attempted to select a different Location, as ostensibly permitted by the preferences interface. However, when I went to the drive that contains my Dropbox, it refuses to allow me to use that location, because -- wouldn't you know it! -- there is already a Dropbox folder there. Duh! Dropbox told me to reinstall the application, but I don't want to delete everything from my computer and re-sync the entire Dropbox. Of course I already have a folder called "Dropbox". Just let me point to it.

Please, please, fix this ASAP, and don't tell me that this is something you "are aware of and are working on." A decent programmer could solve this issue during his lunch hour.

Bottom line: Dropbox needs to allow the user to specify where they want the Dropbox folder to be or where it already is.

58 Replies 58

yonathan n.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem, I don't know why, but when I re-lunched dropbox it didn't recognize the already set up folder. It refuses to work with the folder I already have (collusion of names) and wants to re-download everything (just 70GB, but a very slow connection 😞

any solutions?

Jude R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

WTF!!!!! You *FLOWERS* STUPID, *FLOWERS* dropbox developers, you *FLOWERS*, don't you know dropbix has to allow users to sync to an already existing folder instead of you *FLOWERS* default in C drive? Give me my *FLOWERS* refund and cancel my SUBSCRIPTION. I cannot sync again my 130 GB DATA.

Edit by ~thightower : Foul language removed and replaced with *FLOWERS*

Please remember inappropriate/foul language is not acceptable in the forums.

Syibly Avivy A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

(SOLVED) @Jude R. ,

STEPS, TIPS & TRICK HOW TO INSTALL DROPBOX TO EXISTING FOLDER:

1. When Install Dropbox to the PC, please make sure to see and click the 'advanced' options: 

"Warning! Do not click on "next" button unless you want your Dropbox to be installed in the default location (C:\ Dropbox). If you already have Dropbox installed on this computer and it is not in the default location (example in 😧 ), clicking on this "next" button will prevent you from accessing your existing Dropbox. Furthermore, you will not be able to point the application to your existing Dropbox through any later settings if you click on this button. Instead, you should click on Advanced Settings below. If you have read this warning and still want to click this button, you do so at your own risk."

2. In Advance options, you point the folder to D !

(remember: to D only, not to D:\Dropbox, instead you will get D:\Dropbox\Dropbox)

After that, Dropbox will synchronize and indexing all the files in your D drive (dropbox). Let then work for a minutes to an hour (depend on size & your internet connection). 

Done ! 🙂

If in any case, you miss this steps (which the Dropbox installed to C), don't worry, just cancel the instalation & start the steps I mentioned above.

You will be done with perfect place.

Thank you, Dropbox for amazing cloud space, but poor instructions to install in PC 😞

Good luck for all !!!

(nb, once again, thank's to Eric for this steps & make my day brighten again hahaha 🙂

CCM D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I really support what you guys are asking for. Very well put.

However, we have a problem we cannot figure out. We have an existing folder that I would like to be our Dropbox folder. However, it puts a Dropbox folder inside that path. We want the path of the Dropbox folder to be the existing folder and not have a separate folder named "Dropbox".

Here's our example: On the computer is a folder called "C:\\Forms\". This is the path that I would like Dropbox to use and not add a Dropbox folder.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Mr.S

Syibly Avivy A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hallo CCM, 

Yes, you can follow the steps descibed above (see my explanation right above you).

In your case, you can follow 1st steps above, and for the 2nd steps, do this:

2. In Advance options, you point the folder to C:\\Forms\    <-- this is your target forlder, isnt'? !

(remember: to C:\\Forms\  only, not to C:\\Forms\Dropbox, instead you will get C:\\Forms\Dropbox\Dropbox)

After that, Dropbox will synchronize and indexing all the files in your C:\\Forms\  drive (dropbox). Let then work for a minutes to an hour (depend on size & your internet connection). 

Done ! 🙂

-- SUGEST : before install dropbox, put all your files you want to be sychronized into those folder (C:\\Forms\) and then install dropbox.

If in any case, you miss this steps (which the Dropbox installed to C or the wrong place), don't worry, just cancel the instalation & start the steps I mentioned above.

You will be done with perfect place.

Success bro!.

Aviv

CCM D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank You, Aviv.

However, when I point Dropbox to C:\\Forms\ it still creates a Dropbox folder and sync's only what's inside it. I am unable to sync only C:\\Forms\.

And Dropbox has refunded my account as a result.

-mr.smith

Eric A.5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm not convinced it is possible to sync to a folder named anything other than "Dropbox".  It would be nice if Dropbox allowed this capability, but I'm not aware that it is possible.

On the one hand, I can understand that Dropbox is concerned about users forgetting that a folder named "Forms" (or some other name) is their Dropbox folder, deleting it or renaming it or something, and then trying to get Dropbox user support in a panic (or worse, accidentally deleting everything from the Dropbox).  The likelihood of this happening is significantly reduced when the user sees a folder named "Dropbox".

That said, it would be nice for capable, advanced users to have the ability to point to a folder with a different name (maybe after a terrifying popup warning from Dropbox about all the risks).

If anyone finds out that we can point to something other than a "Dropbox"-named folder, please let us know.

CCM D.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yea I wish it could do it too. I have a huge existing folder shared with a dozen or so people and I need to sync it to Dropbox without having to reconfigure all the shares not to mention all of their Desktop shortcuts would need to be recreated with the new path.

Luis A.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, guys. I know you must be tired of this issue, but I'm also having trouble pointing Dropbox to a previous Dropbox folder in drive F: with 80 gb worth of files. 

I read the "Advanced Options" tip, but when the installer starts, it goes straigth to the Sign In window, and afterwards it installs the Dropbox folder in C, with no way to change this and no advanced options dialog (tried it on the "spoke wheel" but didn't work either.

Anyone has step-by-step instructions? Like "first press this key--- paste this code in the RUN dialog window --- if nothing works go take a swim in a lake and take your PC with you..."

Thanks in advance.

Christopher H.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same as Luis here.... On Windows 10.

There is no was to configure this f...cking folder during the installation.

I've browsed the web and found people taking about this 3 years ago. I mean THREE YEARS AGO !

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Philippa B. New member | Level 1
    CCM D. New member | Level 2
    Eric A.5 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?