cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop app crashes on mac 10.11.6 after upgrading

Issue with the Dropbox application v52 (freezing/ crashing) on Mac devices.

teranisi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Recently I noticed Dropbox.app is not running on my MacBook Pro (El Capitan).

When I run following command on a terminal,

$ /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox

many messages are listed, and after a while, it stops as follows.

..... dropbox: thread d0eb58 is not a python thread

Segmentation fault: 11

The version is the latest version which I downloaded from the site today.

Any suggestions?

65 Replies 65

bwa
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I guess, this is the second time trying this code. I did it before exactly, and there was no change. 

Here are some screenshots that should help. It is still there, so not sure why it was unable to find that other folder. Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 6.12.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-21 at 6.12.17 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @teranisi - sorry to hear about this. 

Would you mind if I reached out to you via email in order to have a more in depth look into this and find what's causing your issue? 

In the meantime, could you please give our offline installer a go and also see if there are any antivirus, firewall or proxy/security settings that could be causing this? 

If I were you, just in case,  I would also take a look here for more information about this and some common troubleshooting suggestions. 

I hope this helps and please let me know what you find. Thank you in advance for your reply! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

liannelli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I think I have exactly the same problem. 

Thanks.

Luigi

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Can you please give me some more detail on what you’re experiencing? What error are you seeing? Can you also send us a screenshot (omitting any personal info) so that we have a better understanding of the situation?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

liannelli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Well, I realized somwthing didn't work find because I uploaded a pdf file from my iPhone and the file was not visible in my Dropbox folder on the Mac (running MacOS 10.11.6). Then I saw that the Dropbox icon in the menu bar was not visible. I run my Dropbox App but nothing happened. Thus I restarted my Mac and I downloaded the Dropbox offline installer. It seemd that the probelm was solved since the Dropbox icon appeared in the menu bar and a notification about the app update was visible. Anyway, just after less than one minute the Dropbox app crashed (the icon disappeared in the menu bar).

Then I googled on the web and I found this discussion. I tried again downloading the installer but I had to restart the machine since a strange message like "the image is damaged" comes out everytime after the installation. If I restart the machine then I can reinstall Dropbox but the same things happen and the app crashes again.

Below you can find a link to last Dropbox items in my Console diagnostics reports.

Hope it can help you to understand.

Thanks a lot.

Luigi

<script src="https://gist.github.com/lianne/ed9c438be95277e7400f025c822e62c3.js"></script>

liannelli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
sorry, I think the gist was "secret": here is the public version:

https://gist.github.com/lianne/7fa35ebec4f64c109b80752c54d78623

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift reply and for the additional info. Could you also check if there are any third-party apps that might be blocking/hindering the installation process, like an antivirus? In this case, try temporarily disabling your antivirus or security program or configure your firewall to work with Dropbox.

If the issue seems to persist, I’d recommend moving this discussion via email so as to further troubleshoot, due to account-specific info that may be required. 

Let me know of any update on this and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

liannelli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Lusil, there is no issues with the installation/network connection: I have no antivirus and the firewall is disabled. We can discuss by email as you suggested.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi again @liannelli

Thanks for confirming this. I’ve sent you an email to your email address that’s associated with your Forum profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers! :sunglasses:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

VerTex
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have OS X 10.9.3 on a mac mini and the Dropbox client worked well until the latest update to 52.4.58 was installed yesterday automatically.

When I delete the 52.4.58 client and install the older 50.4.71 version (this is the version I have found somewhere else), the client starts correct but updates itself to 52.4.58 which causes segmentation fault when restarted.

22.06.18 16:04:54,435 Dropbox[6693]: ApplePersistence=NO
22.06.18 16:04:56,459 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[728]: (com.getdropbox.dropbox.138192[6693]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11
22.06.18 16:04:57,518 ReportCrash[6708]: Saved crash report for Dropbox[6693] version 52.4.58 (52.4.58) to /Users/rs/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Dropbox_2018-06-22-160457_120600S0.crash

So I cannot use Dropbox on my mac systems without preventing the client to update itself. But I do not know how to block the automatic updates 😞

Regards Robert

Need more support?