cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop app stuck at "Connecting"... No firewall, proxy, etc...

Desktop app stuck at "Connecting"... No firewall, proxy, etc...

FullGear
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have been trying for days to connect through Dropbox. We have a client that insists on using this dodgy service, so we have no choice.

If we connect through the web interface, we get nothign but corrupt downloads because of the amount of data. The only workaround is to download a dozen or so individual zip files and hope that everything goes right.

So we've tried to download and install the client. The only people who can currently connect are people who have previously signed into Dropbox using the desktop client. So far, here is what I have tried:

2 Macs on our network(Wired). Newest version, Beta version, standalone installer, none work.

1 Mac on my home setup(Wireless). Nothing.

Same Mac on the 'backup' network at work. This is a backup network that has just recently been installed and has not been configured outside of the stock setup yet. No firewall, no proxies, just the "OK, there's your internet, have fun!" setup.

1 Windows 10 PC on work network(Wired). Nothing

1 Windows 7 PC on backup network(Wired).

On every machine, we have the same issue, it just says "Connecting". Occasionally, one of the Windows machines will pop up the login screen, but that can take hours, and once I enter credentials, nothing happens, the login box is greyed out, and the icon spins. Forever. I think one of the Macs had the login window once. I have manually set the proxy setting to "No Proxy', I even turned Windows Firewall off on the Win 7 PC that is NOT connected to a filtered network in any way. There is no anti virus, no proxy, no web filtering, no firewall, nothing, and these machines won't connect, even to try logging the account in. 

So in summation:

3 different networks

3 different OS

5 different computers

2 different tyupes of connection

No connection. This is consistent enough that I cannot be the only person with this issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey 

Let us follow-up in more depth via email, I understand that you've already explored some of the possible causes on your end!

Since you’ve already done some troubleshooting on your own & you haven't been able to remedy the issue, I’d like to have a closer look through our official support channel & (if necessary), send your requests to a higher level of support for further investigation. Once you get a chance to log a ticket with our team, let me know your 7-digit ticket #, so that I look it internally & make sure it’s handled as soon as possible. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next reply here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Sadly, from looking round here you are....

SOMETHING on your network is blocking Dropbox - your ISP maybe? Your corporate filtering if at work?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

FullGear
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
That's the problem.

2 different ISPs at work. The regular managed connection is through Century Link. The "backup" one I mentioned is through Comcast, and it hasn't yet been managed in any way, I would know, since I am the local IT tech for the office, I would be the one setting it up for the corporate office, but right now, it is in its virgin state. And one of the Macs and the Win 7 machine are machines that I have recently re-imaged, so they don't have anything turned on at all. I also tried one at home, with the same results. I'm looking at a machine on the second, "backup" ISP with Windows Firewall turned off, and it just says "connecting", but won't connect.

Oh wait, it got me the login screen, and then just sat there spinning again. I eventually closed and reopend Dropbox, and I'm back to square one, just "Connecting", "Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox Account".

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey 

Let us follow-up in more depth via email, I understand that you've already explored some of the possible causes on your end!

Since you’ve already done some troubleshooting on your own & you haven't been able to remedy the issue, I’d like to have a closer look through our official support channel & (if necessary), send your requests to a higher level of support for further investigation. Once you get a chance to log a ticket with our team, let me know your 7-digit ticket #, so that I look it internally & make sure it’s handled as soon as possible. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next reply here! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

MikeyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry, but the only response I get when responding through your ticket system is that "for security reasons, I need to respond with the email attached to the account". I DON'T need to do that, as I can never get TO the login screen in the FIRST place. That account email is for our GM, and I am trying to solve this for him while he is out of town. There is no "security" if I can't even get to the point where I would log in. 

Here is the rundown again:

Mac OS, 3 different computers.

Windows 2 different computers, 1 running Windows 10, 1 running Windows 7

3 different networks; Our standard metered network, our back-up failover network that has only recently been installed and has NOT been configured at all yet, and my home network

I have installed, uninstalled, tried Beta builds, downloaded the offline installer, and installed while logged in to the website.

Proxies are turned off, I have tried changing 'Auto Detect Proxy' to 'No Proxy' on both OSs.

I have had our network admin check the Firewall, and here is the most important part:
THE COMPUTER IS TRYING TO TALK TO DROPBOX.

In other words,  NOTHING is blocking communication. If I try another computer that previously was connected to Dropbox successfully, those people can connect, but NOTHING new. Those users are not able to stop working to download the files we need, and there is too much to download through the website. Dropbox support is no help because they act like all I'm having trouble doing is logging in, but I can't even get the login popup to come up, it just says "Connecting" and "Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account".

MikeyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Oh, the ticket I have open is #7572970

MikeyW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have noticed a new behavior that I previously hadn't:

On all 3 machines that I am currently trying to attach to ANY Dropbox account with, the Dropbox client is constantly launching/crashing/launching.

On Windows 10, you can see this behavior with Task Manager open. The icon for Dropbox cycles from Blue(Active) to gray(inactive)

On Windows 7, you can open the taskbar so that you see the Dropbox icon, it constantly shows up, then disappears, then shows up again.

On the Mac that I am attempting to connect with, it just keeps showing up and disappearing in the taskbar at the top.

3 machines, each on a different network, and each running a different OS., THis may be the issue, the app caonstantly is restarting, and is never able to actually complete a task. On the Windows 10 machine, the mouse pointer coupled with the spinning wheel shows up every few seconds until I kill Dropbox.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey MikeyW, I understand that you’ve been through various troubleshooting steps regarding this connectivity issue & I’d like to follow-up on the matter more closely from this point onwards! 

When it comes to our colleague’s request to reply through the account associated with this discrepancy:

"for security reasons, I need to respond with the email attached to the account". I DON'T need to do that, as I can never get TO the login screen in the FIRST place. That account email is for our GM, and I am trying to solve this for him while he is out of town. There is no "security" if I can't even get to the point where I would log in."

you may keep in mind that they’re merely asking, so as to send over the most account-specific details. As they can’t access a different account, they can only speculate, because they can’t determine when (or how) there was an issue on our end that prevents you from establishing a connection. 

At this point, I’d happily suggest an alternative, in order to bypass the email access, where the troubleshooting seems to have stopped. Based on your description, as there are many devices on your network, where you’ve noticed the same behavior, I’d suggest re-creating the issue anew. Please include any screen recordings/ screenshots on your open correspondence with them & they’ll make sure to further review the case with you. 

Again, I appreciate your cooperation & I remain at your disposal should you need further assistance! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?