cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Does dbxsvc.exe in Windows System32 folder actually belong to Dropbox program?

Does dbxsvc.exe in Windows System32 folder actually belong to Dropbox program?

Taffelzips
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, I'm running Dropbox on Windows 10 and everything is basically working fine. Some time ago I noticed a new service called "Dbxsvc" running on my computer. It runs from a file named dbxsvc.exe in my Windows System32 folder.

Is this some kind of malware or some new part of the Dropbox program?

I know there are two other dbxsvc.exe files on my computer. They are in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\driver_amd64\dbxsvc.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\driver_x86\dbxsvc.exe

They seems legitimate. But this third one in System32 is the one running the "Dbxsvc" service.

I've managed to shut down and delete the service and then delete the file itself. Dropbox still works just fine.

The thing is, this file reappears randomly.

So should I leave it or be worried about it?

No other strange behavior on my pc and Windows Defender doesn't seem to have a problem with this file.

If anyone can help, thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dorothy_Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Taffel,

The new service you're seeing is an intended part of the application, I'd advise leaving it as is.

You noted sync still appears to work correctly without this service however should you encounter any sync issues with the service removed it will limit our ability to resolve the issue.

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Dorothy_Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Taffel,

The new service you're seeing is an intended part of the application, I'd advise leaving it as is.

You noted sync still appears to work correctly without this service however should you encounter any sync issues with the service removed it will limit our ability to resolve the issue.

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

Taffelzips
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks for the info! This is actually quite a relief, since I was getting a bit paranoid, maybe because the service name "Dbxsvc" is a bit "shady" 🙂 (I know it does have a good description though in the Services window.)

But thanks! 🙂

Dorothy_Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Sure thing!

Brian1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Taffelzips wrote:
I know it does have a good description though in the Services window.

Typo. You meant "doesn't."

It has no description at all.

So, what is it, exactly?  I'd check the comprehensive release notes, but those also don't exist.

Brian1
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I have the same question, Brian. We think alike.

What is the exact purpose of that service?

DM77
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've got the same question/problem.  I've uninstalled Dropbox completely and this service is still running.  One would think if Dropbox installed it it should be removed when uninstalled.  

It doesn't APPEAR to be malware at this time..

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/38f64f215755e410f69f5bd88fce6011093665f4c29dee60a70632221d0c2bb3/...

DM77
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
If Dropbox is removed, why isn't this service uninstalled/removed?

SChalice
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Because DropBox appears to be a really shady company. I am going to try my best to never ever use DropBox even though I have clients that do.

DropBox cannot be trusted!!!!

MarcusJT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I keep seeing errors in the Windows Application log relating to DbxSvc, which all look like this:

Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.

Why is this happening? What driver?

Need more support?