cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download option missing

Download option missing

greenbergman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I know this has worked before, so I must be doing something wrong. Downloading seems to be missing. Specifically, I'm trying to download a folder, but I can't find how to download a file without opening it either. There is no Download button anywhere I can find in the window. And when I right click on the folder or file, I don't see either Download or Open.

I've tried two browsers (Chrome and Firefox) and am in Windows 10.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

greenbergman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jane. Most of this was solved by getting admin provileges from the uploader. The only small part I haven't figured out is how to download a subfolder. There is a button to download the entire folder, and clicking on the ellipsis at each of the files allows me to download those one by one. But that problem is minor. I can always download the whole thing and then keep only the subfolder that I need.

Thanks for your replies on this.

@JaneA wrote:

Hey @greenbergman,  

Welcome aboard!  

Hmmm... That shouldn't be happening, though I'm here to help you out. What kind of file is it? Could try loading your file in incognito mode on either browser and see if this helps? This article provides some viuals on what the button looks like and where to locate it. Can you see it there?  

Please let me know whether any of the above helps you!  

Warm regards, 

JaneA

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @greenbergman,  

Welcome aboard!  

Hmmm... That shouldn't be happening, though I'm here to help you out. What kind of file is it? Could try loading your file in incognito mode on either browser and see if this helps? This article provides some viuals on what the button looks like and where to locate it. Can you see it there?  

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

greenbergman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Could it be that I need to have admin privileges?

@JaneA wrote:

Hey @greenbergman

Welcome aboard! 

Hmmm... That shouldn't be happening, though I'm here to help you out. What kind of file is it? Could try loading your file in incognito mode on either browser and see if this helps? This article provides some viuals on what the button looks like and where to locate it. can you see it there? 

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @greenbergman,  

Could you please clarify how you are trying to open the file in question? Online or on your desktop? Also, what is the file extension?  

Thanks, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

greenbergman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jane. Most of this was solved by getting admin provileges from the uploader. The only small part I haven't figured out is how to download a subfolder. There is a button to download the entire folder, and clicking on the ellipsis at each of the files allows me to download those one by one. But that problem is minor. I can always download the whole thing and then keep only the subfolder that I need.

Thanks for your replies on this.

@JaneA wrote:

Hey @greenbergman,  

Welcome aboard!  

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

phd40
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Jane, 

I am having similar issues. There used to be a download key which has now disappeared. The only option I get is to Share. I regularly download files in buk (sent as a zip file) on to my PC. Is this a fault or a conscious chnage made by DropBox> If it is the latter then the service is not going to be useful to me.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@phd40), while this is an older thread, I’m sorry to hear about any inconvenience this may have caused you & thanks for taking a bit of your time to post your inquiry on the Dropbox Forum!  

I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to check back on any of my pointers above. Have you tried loading the content that’s troubling you through incognito mode/ in private browsing mode or even a different browser than your standard by any chance? Can you try that once & see if that amends the behavior? As an additional step, clearing your browser's cache would be helpful.

From there, can you please clarify whether this happens with specific files? Have you noticed a pattern by any chance? I’d also appreciate it if you can please clarify if you’re loading our file on your account (as the OP had described) or through a shared link :link:.

Once you find a bit of time to check back on how my pointers work for you, please do let me know of the outcome & findings on this discussion & I’ll do my best to further advise. Thanks & I’ll be awaiting your next update!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    phd40 New member | Level 2
    Ed Dropbox Staff
    greenbergman New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?