Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Drop box not working after renaming home folder

Super User

well, I hope you get an answer and if one does get to you that works, please report it here for others who might have the same issue. I like to talk about what you stated earlier

<When in copied the first line of commands in the terminal window (using your "advanced" idea), I got a message that said, "No such file or directory."

according to that help center article it says "If the location of your Dropbox folder is not ~/Dropbox, make sure you modify all the commands above to point to the correct location.

can you verify that location of your Dropbox folder?

I use Mac primarily and a user for decades and I had heard of issues renaming home folders. If you are able to and what I would do, is create another user on one of your Macs, start Dropbox and see if that would work, if it reacts the same, then thats a given. IF that works, perhaps change your user to that one. Delete the troublesome one. IF you insist on the username myaccount, then you can recreate a new user with myaccount. I think when you rename it, it created alot of permission issues.

Have you run Disk Utility and ran the permission test/repair?

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 1

Yes, I'll report back once it's solved.

"myaccount" was just a place holder for the name of my account. It's actually my first and last name with no space (can't have spaces, I understand. It looks correct to me I think ~/ is a place holder for a person's user name, I think.

The location of my DB folder is: users/dennisstevens/dropbox

Yes, I ran both disk repair and permissions repair on all three computers. No luck.

Thanks again for your help.

Super User

can you try one more thing. Can you delete a hidden folder .dropbox folder and DropboxHelperTools folder and restart the CLient

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 1

I'm willing to try anything at this point. How do I delete a hidden file? Where are those files located?

Highlighted

Super User

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox

Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G).
A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:
/Library
Delete the DropboxHelperTools folder by moving it to the Trash.
(Optional) Removing your Dropbox application settings:

Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G).
A dialog box should appear. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key:
~/.dropbox
Remove your Dropbox application system settings by selecting all files in the folder and dragging and dropping them into the trash.

Level 1

It worked! Thank you Chris. Whew, this was really frustrating. I did this fix on all three of my computers and everything seems fine now. I ran the fix and DB started up and asked me to log in. When I logged in, everything fell into place, the folder was created and syncing began. As far as I can tell, everything looks perfect now.

Level 1

@Chris J. I Have the same problem. I've moved my home directory folder location and dropbox is not launching. I've deleted all files, that your wrote about, but it's still not launching. When i swith to guest mode it's open perfect. I'm using mac 

Super User

Tos M

first off, we should move the Dropbox by using the Client.  Doing the move ourselves creates problems.  It seems to be a permission issue.  Try downloading Client installer again from www.dropbox.com/install  and reinstall.  After installer launches it will ask for your Dropbox account credentials.  Pay attention thereafter since it will ask for your computer administrator username and password.  Also make sure the location that you put the Dropbox folder is inputed correctly.    If you still have issues, please follow this article here: https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/stuck-syncing especially in the Advanced Users section.

Level 1

Chris J. Thanks for answering. But it doesn't help. My dropbox application does not launch in tray, so i can not deal with account credentials. When i type in terminal first command from advanced users section

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

terminal say me that there is no such file or directory, but there is that fodler .dropbox in file directory (it's hidden). Don't know what to do(

Super User

Those commands on Terminal would not work because you moved the Dropbox folder to an different location. Go back to that help Center and at the bottom of those terminal commands, UT listed what to do if your Dropbox folder is  not located in the default location 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Drop box not working after renaming home folder
39 Replies
17 Likes
Solved! : See solution