cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Dropbox Finder integration breaks Quick Look and thumbnails - Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Andrew D.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For the past few months I've been having issues with image previews not loading on my Mac in Quick Look, Finder previews or icon thumbnails. I have experienced the problem on both Mac OS High Sierra and Mojave. My colleagues also seem to be experiencing the same issue.

Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 14.08.04.pngI finally took the time this week to figure out what is causing the issue. As far as I can tell the problem is caused by Dropbox Finder integration. As soon as I turned off Dropbox finder integration (and restart the machine) file previews and Quick Look work perfectly.

For now I'm keeping Dropbox Finder integration turned off - I'm a designer and image previews are incredibly useful.  I'd prefer to be able to enable Dropbox Finder integration as the sync status icons are useful. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix?

48 Replies 48

hiimak
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What's the reverse of this should they come up with a solution?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If anyone else is experiencing this issue still, please could you reach out to our support team directly in order for them to investigate this matter further.

Feel free to attach a link to this thread as well in your email to the team.

Thanks in advance!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

3guk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
@hiimak- super easy actually, run the first and last commands - do not run the one that starts with “touch” this will clear the file and will allow Dropbox to reinstall its quicklook plugin.

xgougeon
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have had the same problem for months since I've started using the "local / online" features of the Dropbox finder integration. It sometimes work but most of the time quicklook is not available for the recently synced files.

Screencapture here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcam8gjopv1yilj/Capture%20d%27%C3%A9cran%202019-01-09%2016.09.37.png?dl=0

len3d
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Don't use the comman that starts with "touch", the first and 3rd commands work right away without system restart.

rm -r ~/Library/QuickLook/DropboxQL.qlgenerator

qlmanage -r

Thank you! That was sooooo annoying.

microbians
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Deleting the qlgenerator works!

microbians
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Found that even iif you delete the qlgenerator it will be again on place because Dropbox app install it again, so is neccesary to rename the plugin inside the app content

mv /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/DropboxQL.qlgenerator /Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/_DropboxQL.qlgenerator

That way Dropbox can't copy it again to the Quicklook plugins folder.

NOTE: Any way do this at your risk.

PaulSolt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Jay,

I'm having this issue all the time, it's very annoying.

I've contacted support, and I've disabled Finder Integration in addition to running these two commands.

qlmanage -r

qlmanage -r cache

alexolmsted
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Guys over at St. Clair Software have a great fix for this: 

https://www.stclairsoft.com/blog/2018/07/17/getting-rid-of-the-dropbox-quicklook-plugin/

It turns out that a new beta of DropBox installs its own QuickLook generator plugin that overrides the system-supplied plugin for generating a number of file and image formats – including those MS Office files. OK, fine – just delete it, right? That worked until he restarted his Mac, then DropBox launched at login and promptly (and silently) reinstalled its QuickLook plugin again. I guess it knows what’s best for us, eh?

After a little thought, we arrived at this solution:

1. Delete the DropBox QuickLook generator plugin
  2. Create an empty file at that location to prevent DropBox from reinstalling it

Fortunately, QuickLook is smart enough to realize that an empty file isn’t going to help it generate previews, and just defaults back to the other plugins it has. Problem solved!

The easiest way to do this is to open Terminal and execute these three commands:

touch ~/Library/QuickLook/DropboxQL.qlgenerator
qlmanage -r

A nice simple solution once you get it figured out. I imagine this is one of those problems that’s going to crop up for a lot of people but isn’t quite obnoxious enough to get them to hunt down a solution. So there you go 

- - - - - - - - 

Here's what I did:

1. Turn OFF "Finder Integration" in DB preferences & Restart to check to see if QL is working. (Mine wasn't so I continued to #2)
  2. Open Terminal and typed in commands from above & restarted
  3. My QL was now working! So then, as an experiment, I went back and tuned ON finder Integration in DB.
  4. Now BOTH are operating correctly. Let's see how long this will last 🙂 

But also note that, unfortunately, QL will still NOT work if a file is not local on your hard drive. Still, I'll take what I can get. 

Deli-cious F.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am running Dropbox v67.4.83 and have Mojave 10.14.3 installed on both my 2018 Macbook pro and my iMac 5K.

I have tried both suggestions of all 3 

touch ~/Library/QuickLook/DropboxQL.qlgenerator
qlmanage -r

And the other suggested where you miss out the second starting with touch and neither have worked.

Doesn't seem to matter if I deactivate Finder Integration or not.

I am still left with Excel files and Word files not showing icon preview in and Finder view - not list, not column, not icon view, not gallery view.

Does anyone have an up to date fix that actually works now? I am really wishing I never upgraded as I think the Local/Online functionality has really screwed things up with the quicklook plugin.

Need more support?