Did you mean: 

Dropbox Folder Missing

SOLVED
1 Comment
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 5

Dropbox Folder Missing

I moved my Dropbox folder from my internal HDD on a Mac Mini running MacOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and moved it vial the Dropbox app to a WD My Book Duo drive set up as JBOD and 2x4TB drives.

The move was very difficult as I continually got an error message saying "Erro Moving Dropbox. Some files can't be moved. Please select a new location or close some open files and try again."  Which I did unsuccesfully for several hours. I cam across a forum message about difficulty moving folders over 2GB. My Dropbox Por is about 120GB.

I used selective synch to disable the largest folders and moved Dropbox fodler to the external drive via the Dropbox app sucessfully. I then relinked all the folders by again choosing them through selective synch a few at a time. When I got to the big folders, they started to synch and I left them overnight.

Came in today and all was well. All folders were present and appeared fully synchronized with good synch symbol (gree check) on all subfolders--but not on the Dropbox folder that for some reason still showed an active synch.  The Dropbox app desktop icon showed synch complete and all subfolders showed complete with a green checkmark.

No worries, until after an hour or so, I noticed all the synch symbols were gone as was the desktop application icon. Dropbox had quit. I relaunched Dropbox app but received an error message:

"Dropbox Folder is Missing. Your Dropbox folder has been moved or deleted from its original location. Dropbox will not work properly until you move it back. It used to be located at [location I had just moved the Dropbox folder to]. . ."

The problem is the Dropbox folder was still in teh very same place and the one lsited by the error message.  But no synch icons and the Dropbox application will not launch.

I have restarted my computer but no success with the Dropbox problem--same message and status.

I started to move the Dropbox folder to another extenral drive and then right back to see if that woudl shock the system.  In starting the copy, the Dropbox folder once again gained the dropbox icon on the fodler icon. I Stopped the copy and attempted to open Dropbox application but same error message.

I am doing the copy now to see if moving the folder away, deleting and then recopying will solve the problem. No logic to that jsut trying to do something and teh thing it asks, i.e. move it back to the same folder.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 5

Re: Dropbox Folder Missing

I think I see the problem.

While working and after initially checking that Dropbox had synched and was good, I worked a wireless keyboard problem that used a USB transmitter in the computer USB port. I moved the USB to a closer port and swapped places with my WD My Book Duo USB3.0 drive that I now used for my Dropbox folder location.

Apparently very big mistake! By unplugging the USB drive and changing the USB port I think I messed with the linkage to Dropbox and this "moved" my folder.  

I have copied my local now-unlinked Dropbox folder and will rename the new copy as an archive and reset the link--probably a laborious and time consuming task.

BE careful with external drives containing the Dropbox folder.  See the last block on:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/89?path=desktop_client_and_web_app

1 Reply
Solution
Level 5

Re: Dropbox Folder Missing

I think I see the problem.

While working and after initially checking that Dropbox had synched and was good, I worked a wireless keyboard problem that used a USB transmitter in the computer USB port. I moved the USB to a closer port and swapped places with my WD My Book Duo USB3.0 drive that I now used for my Dropbox folder location.

Apparently very big mistake! By unplugging the USB drive and changing the USB port I think I messed with the linkage to Dropbox and this "moved" my folder.  

I have copied my local now-unlinked Dropbox folder and will rename the new copy as an archive and reset the link--probably a laborious and time consuming task.

BE careful with external drives containing the Dropbox folder.  See the last block on:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/89?path=desktop_client_and_web_app