cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Icon missing Windows 10

Dropbox Icon missing Windows 10

Alex M.76
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I fired my laptop up a couple of days ago and I noticed that the dropbox icon in the taskbar was missing.  I checked task manager and dropbox is running theres just no icon and if I kill the task and double click on the dropbox exe it loads the app but does not show the Icon so I am unable to check my settings or anything else.  Oddly enough it is still working fine on my main desktop.

I have completely uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled a couple of times but there is no change to my issue. 

Also, when I launch the installer, after it has downloaded the dropbox files via the installer it doesn't actually launch the install process to let me input my user account or link my files but if I check task manager it shows that dropbox.exe is running.

I am somewhat confused, can anyone help?

I have checked my AV and no issues there but I would assume if it was something to do with AV it would stop the app from being loaded

55 Replies 55

Ros L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jane 

Yes, I'll try to find time to do that at the weekend when work is (I hope!) a bit quieter 

Ros

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sure Ros (@Ros L.), let’s leave this discussion open; please take your time to try my suggestions & keep me posted on the outcome whenever you get a chance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ros L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi again Jane I haven't been able to find time to do a full uninstall reinstall yet, that will be over the weekend but wanted to report that Dropbox isn't syncing at all.  I had a document to update today.  It is an older version of Word so that it is accessible to more users and I have that old version on my old Win7 laptop.  I started that up and the Dropbox icon was showing.  In the middle of updating the document the icon disappeared completely.  The document hasn't updated.

I tried updating it from this Win10 laptop and again it hasn't synced and I have had to share it with colleagues by email

Hopefully this will be resolved by uninstalling/reinstalling on both laptops but it will also mean conflicted copies of the document as both are saved under the same name, in the same Dropbox folder, on separate laptops.

I can get on with the Win7 laptop now as I am not using it for anything else currently, this laptop will be tomorrow or Sunday

Ros

Ros L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Actualy, no go back on that, the icon has reappeared on Win7.  I'll not uninstall then

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there Ros (@Ros L.), thanks a lot for looping back to me. So, do your files sync now that you’ve seeing the Dropbox app on your system tray? Please let me know & we’ll take it from there!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Ros L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

With the Win 7 laptop, yes they do.  I hope to do the reinstallation of Dropbox on this laptop later today

Ros L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Oddly I am unable to uninstall dropbox.  I am using control panel>uninstall or change a program.  I have selected dropbox, hit uninstall and then when given the choice to change or uninstall I chose uninstall.  Twice.  Each time it has said uninstall failed.

What now?

Ros L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Trying once a gain to upload a screenshot but again, as previously happened, it is not working 'An Unexpected Error has occurred.' 

About two thirds of the way through the uninstall process, a message that it has failed

Happily though Photobucket is working for once, here is a screenshot 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for your ongoing cooperation & patience Ros (@Ros L.) ! As we’ve tried working on that on this discussion & I’d like to expedite matters a bit for you, let me have a closer look on your setup through our Official Support channel in order to provide you the best next steps on this inquiry. In order to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email gathering all the details you've seent me on this discusison. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks  & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Ros L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Jane, response sent

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Ros L. Explorer | Level 4
    Leigh3 New member | Level 2
    faxhamil Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?