cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Issues with Mac OS Mojave

Dropbox Issues with Mac OS Mojave

Andrew O.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Users on Mac OS Mojave are experiencing an issue with Dropbox, their computers have become extremely slow. It works fine when Dropbox is not running.

When Dropbox app is relaunched, it takes about 30 minutes then it tries to sync files and that never stops.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Does anyone know how we fix this?

51 Replies 51

faxao
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you but this won't work in my case. I am on v63.4.107 and Mojave 10.14.2 and the dropbox icon on the top bar is always greyed out with the "connecting" status always on. On top of that, the account menu is showing "This computer isn't linked to an account" message but the "Unlink this Dropbox" tab is greyed out and not clickable. Same version of Dropbox is working perfectly on my MacBook Pro running the same OS version. Do not know what to do here.....

mantis108
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For us even when Early Releases is turned off, it STILL updates my machine to a .3 beta version! wth????

altavek
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

brand new, literally 2 days old, iMac PRO here. As soon as I put dropbox on the machine; everything came to a screetching halt. This even happened on my old iMac 13,2. I've been beating my head against the wall on this issue and when i got the new machine, the answer became quickly obvious as it was one of the first things I installed after running all system updates.

This is a DropBox software incompatability. Only solution is not even installing the desktop app until it is fixed, which is a massive setback in my workflow.

mantis108
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, and what's worse is that DropBox support is either completely in denial about it or stalling.. or ignoring the issue. This has been going on for a month for us, totally shutting down my ability to work or keep in sync with my team at the office, and my reward for weeks of an open tech support ticket has been useless emails telling me my DropBox has a lot of files in it (yeah, no kidding, and it's been working fine like that for 4 years or more) or instructions to do things I already told them I've done multiple times. 

In case it helps anyone, one thing that worked on one of my Macs running Mojave but not the 2nd one I have was to completely start from scratch and NOT try to preserve my existing sync'd DropBox folder (which I could only do b/c I hadn't recently updated files on that machine). Then when I re-synced to my account I chose online-only instead of local file sync'ing, and that has so far been working. However, doing the same thing on a 2nd Mac (at work) didn't work and it's still doing the sync'ing forever thing and I have 100's of un-sync'd files as a result. So yeah, good luck with that but maybe you'll get lucky.....

Oh, and the other joyous thing we've run into is that even when the "be part of the beta program/early updates" thing is unchecked in our account, DropBox STILL updates us to a beta .3 version (.4 is the stable version for any build series FYI) every time, meaning we can never really test a previous stable .4 version. Fun fun fun.

DropBox, you guys need to fix this madness or you're going to lose a lot of Mac-based customers. This has been terribly handled across the board and it's causing a lot of lost productivity.

emendelson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

y Same problem here. Dropbox works perfectly in High Sierra, stalls at Checking for changes under Mojave. Tried unlinking and relinking, reinstalling, renicing, disabling/enabling LAN sync, etc. No joy anywhere.

Radweld
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here, checking for changes - hasn't sync'd in 2 weeks. Reinstalled, relinked, no difference

faxao
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I gave up: not working on Mojave, hence not using Dropbox anymore

emendelson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I seem to have solved this, but it took a lot of effort, and I'm not sure what worked. This seems to have done it:

Unlink the computer and delete the Dropbox app.

Rename the ~/Dropbox folder (or copy it somewhere else).

Delete all the files in the hidden ~/.Dropbox folder.

Then download Dropbox and let it download all your files. You can interrupt the download and copy some or all of the files from the original (renamed or moved) Dropbox folder to save time downloading. 

After I did this, Dropbox seems to be working normally again.

faxao
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Brilliant ! That worked finally. Thank you very much for sharing !

Amakhosi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hi there I am having exactly the same problem, keep uninstalling are reinstalling - have you managed to get a solution, I was off on leave and now need to run my small business and this not syncing and greyout icon which keeps connecting and never doe is a night mare 

Need more support?