Did you mean: 

Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

SOLVED
34 Comments
9 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6

Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

I would like to get the Windows 7 (64-bit) Dropbox desktop client working for a number of users in our department. However, after installing the desktop client, I can not login to Dropbox.

The installation succeeds on our Windows 7 workstations, but when starting Dropbox I only see a "Set Up Dropbox" window that is all white; there is no login/password box presented in that window.

How does one get around this? The product doesn't work particularly well if one can't get logged in.

So far, I have tried 18.4.32, 19.4.13 and 20.3.17 (beta) offline installers; they all exhibit the same behavior.

2 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 6

Re: Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

Actually, yes (as of today). Looks like beta build 21.3.18 works properly over a remote desktop connection.

NOTE: you will need a 32-bit colormap to make it work. When I try to connect with a 24-bit colormap, it drops to 16-bit, and then I get the same blank sign-on window. With a 32-bit colormap ("-a 32" if you're using the Linux rdesktop client), the sign-on window looks as I would expect with visible data entry fields.

You can find the download here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-21-3-18/m-p/208009#M3718

Solution
Dropboxer

Hello @jperkins

In general we advise installing the latest stable version on your machine - using the Beta may lead to issues since they are experimental versions of the app.

Regarding the issue, I would recommend to first try disabling your antivirus , configure your firewall and then go to www.dropbox.com/downloading to refresh the installation on your device.

If you keep experiencing issues, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

34 Replies
Level 2

Windows App Login Screen

When I try to activate the Windows app (on Win 7),  I get a blank dialog box.    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox twice on this machine with no joy.   This used to work fine until about two weeks ago  (Windows update?).     Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?   

Thank you for your time and help.

Super User II

Re: Windows App Login Screen

Go to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000 and download a version in the 15.4.x series. That should work

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Super User II

Try downgrading to a one in the 15.4.x branch from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 6

15.4.22 installs and gives me a login window, but it will not accept my email/password when trying to connect.

Super User II

Why?

What does it say?

Level 6

When I enter the email address/password, the login window goes blue, then back to the login screen. Same behavior I get when putting in a deliberately mistyped password.

Even tried using cut-and-paste to capture the password. Password works fine in a web browser, but not in the Dropbox desktop client.

I  wish I knew why...

Are there known issues with the 19.X clients and Windows 7?

Level 5

Same issue here.  I am trying to set up on a Windows 7 Prof 64-bit PC.  The latest build (or at least the one that Ninite serves) installs but the sign-on window is blank.  After installing 15.xx from here it just tells me that "You're using an old version of DropBox. Please download the latest version", so I am dead in the water.

Help!

Level 5

I have the same issue here. New computer and I can not access any of my files. No way am I going to use a browser to do this.

Level 5

Workaround.... I was installing 19.4.13 whilst logged onto the machine remotely using Remote Desktop Protocol. I had to log off go to the actual machine and install fromt he console. Looks like remote install is not possible. Lets hope this BUG is fixed ASAP.

BUG FIX PLEASE