Did you mean: 

Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

SOLVED
34 Comments
6 Kudos
Level 3

Re: Windows App Login Screen

Mark wrote:
Go to https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Beta-testers/ct-p/101003000 and download a version in the 15.4.x series. That should work

It did not work: Got the error message "this is not a current version of Dropbox" and was directed to download the latest version. In addition to wasting time installing this old version, I have installed the 'latest version' 10 times today, rebooted many times, reset TCP/IP connections,  Tried downloading the installation file to my computer to download offline. I still cannot link my computer to my dropbox account because the Set Up Drop Box dialog box is blank.  

If I click all over that blank box, the 'reset password' window comes up in a browser, but that's not what I needed.

And yes, my graphics card driver is up to date, I just spent 2 hours finding that out.

Level 3

I have this issue also in Win7 too. I tried with this solution, but got the exact same response. Graphics cards working propperly.

Is there anything else we could try?

Thanks!

Level 3

Same issue here windows 7. fresh install . when i tried to setup drop box a blank screen
Level 2

Re: Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

I have exactly the same problem attempting to install current version of Dropbox on brand new install of Windows 7.

Please fix!!

Level 2

Any fix for you yet jperkins?
Highlighted
Solution
Level 6

Actually, yes (as of today). Looks like beta build 21.3.18 works properly over a remote desktop connection.

NOTE: you will need a 32-bit colormap to make it work. When I try to connect with a 24-bit colormap, it drops to 16-bit, and then I get the same blank sign-on window. With a 32-bit colormap ("-a 32" if you're using the Linux rdesktop client), the sign-on window looks as I would expect with visible data entry fields.

You can find the download here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-21-3-18/m-p/208009#M3718

Solution
Dropboxer

Hello @jperkins

In general we advise installing the latest stable version on your machine - using the Beta may lead to issues since they are experimental versions of the app.

Regarding the issue, I would recommend to first try disabling your antivirus , configure your firewall and then go to www.dropbox.com/downloading to refresh the installation on your device.

If you keep experiencing issues, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

Level 6

I understand the latest stable build is always recommended. If the stable build had worked for my situation, this thread would have never happened.

The 21.3.18 beta client does seem to provide a usable sign-in interface when connecting via a remote desktop connection. The current stable client (as of this writing) is incapable of this.
Super User II

Not sure if it will work, but, another thread has just said turning off Windows Firewall fixed it. Possibly worth a try?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 6

Tried that before contacting Dropbox support (who were helpful after my ticket was closed and reopened). Wasn't enough to make the "stable" client work properly over remote desktop connection. It would work fine if the user were logged in at the console of the computer in question without any firewall tweaks...I would expect firewall issues to break the client no matter where the client was run.