cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

blank login screen with dropbox app on windows 7 pc

bocceman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi.  I'v having issues with logging into an existing dropbox account on a windows 7 pc. 

If i roll back to version 15.4.22 I can see the login and I am able to enter my userid and password but then it tells me the version of software is too old and i need to download the lastest version.

I've tried the lastest version - 24.4.17 and all I get is a blank screen.  I've tried a few different versions, 18,19 and 20 versions and get the same blank screen.

Anybody have this issue?  Any solution for this?

126 Replies 126

sarchasm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Any fix for you yet jperkins?

Servontius
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a couple of Enterprise Macs running Sierra 10.12.3, and I am unable to setup the Desktop app on them. On both I receive a Blank White screen after launching the application from the Applications Folder. I am currenty trying to install version 19.4.13. I thought the issue was the Mobile Device Management software we use, Airwatch, was the issue. After removing Airwatch however, the issue persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Servontius,

Please try disabling your antivirus , configure your firewall and then go to www.dropbox.com/downloading to refresh the installation on your device.

If you keep experiencing issues, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jperkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Actually, yes (as of today). Looks like beta build 21.3.18 works properly over a remote desktop connection.

NOTE: you will need a 32-bit colormap to make it work. When I try to connect with a 24-bit colormap, it drops to 16-bit, and then I get the same blank sign-on window. With a 32-bit colormap ("-a 32" if you're using the Linux rdesktop client), the sign-on window looks as I would expect with visible data entry fields.

You can find the download here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-21-3-18/m-p/208009#M3718

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @jperkins

In general we advise installing the latest stable version on your machine - using the Beta may lead to issues since they are experimental versions of the app.

Regarding the issue, I would recommend to first try disabling your antivirus , configure your firewall and then go to www.dropbox.com/downloading to refresh the installation on your device.

If you keep experiencing issues, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

Zed

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

jperkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I understand the latest stable build is always recommended. If the stable build had worked for my situation, this thread would have never happened.

The 21.3.18 beta client does seem to provide a usable sign-in interface when connecting via a remote desktop connection. The current stable client (as of this writing) is incapable of this.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Not sure if it will work, but, another thread has just said turning off Windows Firewall fixed it. Possibly worth a try?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jperkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Tried that before contacting Dropbox support (who were helpful after my ticket was closed and reopened). Wasn't enough to make the "stable" client work properly over remote desktop connection. It would work fine if the user were logged in at the console of the computer in question without any firewall tweaks...I would expect firewall issues to break the client no matter where the client was run.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jperkins , 

Thanks for keeping us up to date with this - I located your ticket and an agent is working with you on this investigating the issue.

We appreciate your help and patience on this!

Zed

Bonzo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I get the same. I'm using Windows 7. Installation seems to go OK then get a "Set Up Dropbox" screen pop. Screen then gets 2 columns of numbers - possibly files sizes- then sticks.

Need more support?