cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox conflicting with Anti virus (Norton/Sophos)

Dropbox conflicting with Anti virus (Norton/Sophos)

UR1ofTHEM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Norton Firewall Alert: "Dropbox 49.4.69 does not have a valid digital signature."

Can someone please help with this? I don't understand what's going on.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Users that reported this issue through support tickets have mentioned that after reinstalling the latest versions of their antivirus, as well as the Dropbox desktop application, the message doesn't appear anymore and the issue is resolved.

Please try with this and let us know if it's not the case for you. Please also let us know what are the versions you're using.

Thanks!

Positive vibe!

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

RichMath
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just received a warning from Norton as Dropbox tried to auto-download the update (4/11/2018 @ 14:23 Eastern Time). Here's the warning:

"Dropbox 4.4.74 Installer does not have a valid digital signature"

d.dropbox.com (IP address 162.125.32.135) is the source of the attempted download.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey UR1ofTHEM, welcome to the Dropbox Forum & thanks for checking in with us regarding this question, I hope you’re having a great week so far! 

Just as a point of reference, you may keep in mind that sometimes antivirus programs will pick up partial files in your ".dropbox.cache" folder as false positives and continuously quarantine them.

The Dropbox desktop client uses the ".dropbox.cache" folder as a staging area to download your files in small chunks. 

To bypass this behavior, I would recommend adding the Dropbox cache folder to an ignore list so that Dropbox can correctly sync that file and/or temporarily disabling your antivirus. Once synced, you should no longer see these warnings or quarantine messages.

If you run a very quick search on google, you’ll also be able to locate this set of steps in regards to your Antivirus, so as to resolve this issue as soon as possible. 

Hopefully this is helpful to you, though I’m always here if you have further questions, so please keep me updated on this discussion if you need further clarifications. Thanks again & happy Monday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

CagleTech
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same situation as UR1ofTHEM.  The file in question is not in the cache.  It is in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\Install\{06CD02FF-6D05-4F19-B801-C267B1180070}

I suspect it may very well be a legitimate file/update to the Dropbox Program, or it could be a trojan ransomware virus monster from hell.  How do I confirm through Dropbox.com, or wherever, if it's legitimate.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for keeping me updated on the progress here CagleTech

We’re currently looking into the behavior you’re experiencing internally & I’ll make sure to get back in touch with you here once I have more info on my end. Based on your description, the quarantined file resides in the Update folder & it should be relevant to the latest Stable Dropbox version (49.4.69), therefore it's not malicious.

If I were in your shoes, I’d disable, or uninstall Norton while the upgrade goes through, and then re-enable it afterwards. 

Meanwhile, have you contacted Norton’s support team on the issue by any chance (as the error message is on their end)? 

Please do let me know how the steps above work for you in your next reply & I'll make sure to get back in touch as quickly as possible! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

pjw73nh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For what it's worth, I submitted this file to VIRUSTOTAL.COM and it came back clean.

UR1ofTHEM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@pjw73nh wrote:

For what it's worth, I submitted this file to VIRUSTOTAL.COM and it came back clean.

Thanks for this help.

UR1ofTHEM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@CagleTech wrote:

I have the same situation as UR1ofTHEM.  The file in question is not in the cache.  It is in the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\Install\{06CD02FF-6D05-4F19-B801-C267B1180070}

I suspect it may very well be a legitimate file/update to the Dropbox Program, or it could be a trojan ransomware virus monster from hell.  How do I confirm through Dropbox.com, or wherever, if it's legitimate.

Thanks.

narrationsd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is the second time in two weeks or  so that you've sent out an auto-update which Norton says contains no certificate.

I blocked it ; not sure about the other instance, as Norton foolishly allows a proceed if you aren't around to catch this.

Please, don't be untrustworthy -- at least two meanings intended, and fix this...!

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @narrationsd - Welcome to our Forum!

First off, I wanted you to know that I moved your post to a thread that is relevant with what you described. For your reference, you can take a look at the original post here

Moreover, as you can see on our Known Issues thread (as per the Welcome Banner), this issue is currently investigated by our engineers.  You can keep a lookout for an update here on our Forum - I, or a colleague of mine, will be updating this thread too once we have further news on the matter. 

Thank you for your diligence and patience on this one. Have a great day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    brandyhyatt New member | Level 2
    davidnelson New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?