Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox does not show up in Accessibility in System Preferences

Dropbox is installed on my Macbook Pro and working, but I'm trying to get it to gel with Word and to do that I have to turn it on in Accessibility in System Preferences. However, Dropbox is not listed as an app there so I can't check it. And when I hit the + button to add it, I click the Dropbox app and click "open" but it still won't show up in the Accessibility box.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Dropbox does not show up in Accessibility in System Preferences

Dropboxer
Hey there (@sparklepony60), thanks a lot for your detailed description; let me follow-up on that a bit more closely & we’ll take it based on the results you’re getting on your end. 

Now, as it’s my understanding that you’re following the steps outlined on this resource, it seems that you ‘re facing the issue after the 4th step, namely:

Spoiler
4. Check the box beside the Dropbox icon to enable accessibility or uncheck to disable accessibility.
5. Click the lock icon again to re-lock system preferences. 
Can you confirm whether I’m right in my assumption? 

From there, I’d suspect that something could be blocking our application from running as it should. I’d appreciate it if you could try the following for me: 

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.

Please let me know how my suggestions work for you, so as to find a viable solution together. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi!

I have a similar problem.
Dropbox is running. I know it because i get the notification that something is synced. The Dropbox icon in menubar is missing. 
I did checked everything from above. It´s all good.
How can I get back the icon?

Dropboxer

Hey there (@mdorfer101) , thanks for taking the time to check back on the pointers I’ve posted here!

Based on your description, it’s highly likely that our application isn’t running in the background (i.e. the Dropbox icon will only appear in your menu bar if  our app is active). Occasionally, the Dropbox icon will seem to disappear, but this only means that the desktop app isn’t running. Would you mind relaunching it once & see if that does the trick for you this time? 

To resolve this, first try launching Dropbox from your Applications folder, where you can find and run our app. If this doesn’t work, you can download (or re-download) the Dropbox desktop app and sign in to your Dropbox account when prompted. 

You may give my suggestion a go whenever you find some spare time & please do let me know how you get on with that on this conversation here. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

All the things you said were correct. I did all the steps you outlined. Nothing changed. Dropbox downloaded and installed, I get the "turn on accessibility" message, but when I go there in system preferences/security&privacy/accessibility, there are no apps listed, including Dropbox. Again, clicking the + sign then clicking Dropbox from the applications folder fails to add the app into the accessibility list.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox does not show up in Accessibility in System Preferences
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post