cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refreshing screen on Excel and Word - Windows 7

Refreshing screen on Excel and Word - Windows 7

lensilva
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I recently started having a problem with Excel where frequent screen refresh (about every 4 seconds) was interfering with work. The same thing was happening in Word.

After many hours of troubleshooting, an online community suggested Dropbox as the cuprit. I uninstalled Dropbox and the probem was cured. I reinstalled it and the problem returned.

Windows 7, Office 2007

Thanks for any advice

63 Replies 63

incognico
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same symptoms here with Office 2010. Only found this thread after I shut down processes one by one until the behaviour stopped - and discovered it was Dropbox.

mikedoyal
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Problem started for me on the same date, Friday (8/11/2017). I have uninstalled Dropbox and the problem was removed.

With Dropbox installed, Word and Excel are unusable as all menus disappear as soon as they're opened.

Dropbox 1.3.65.1

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Office 365 ProPlus (Version 1707 - Build 8326.2076 Click-toRun)

Excel 2016 (16.0.8626.2076) 32-bit

dramirez117
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I also have 3 users with this issue.  All running either Office 2013 or Office 2016 on Windows 7.  Disabling dropbox at startup or killing it fixed thier issues.

UK-Mart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Me too - glad I'm not alone.  Started on the 11th August.

I have Win 7 with Office 365 version of Office 2016 and DB 32.4.23

Have reinstalled Office & DB and, like the other poster, found it was DB causing the issue.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

dramirez117
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Seems to do the trick for me.  Thank you.

UK-Mart
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich - that worked!

In fact I'd noticed the badge had stopped working - I was looking for a similar control in Word or Excel but didn't think of DB settings!

kk5hy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm the network admin for the company I work for. In the past few days I've had 3 people complain about Microsoft Office 2013 cursor to "flicker" 

In Excel, if you have a cell highlighted, you can see the box flicker as well. 

I thought it was something with Office until we realized these three people have dropbox installed. I'm sure the free version if that makes a difference. 

If I exit Dropbox, the flickering in Office stops.

None of these people have the options box checked to show the dropbox download in Office. 

This seemed to start after a Dropbox update last week I believe. 

Anyone have a fix other than uninstall Dropbox?

Thanks,
Jake

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Try disabling the Dropbox Badge within the Dropbox preferences.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I've merged several threads that were all dealing with Dropbox Badge issues. Any other threads will be redirected here as well.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Littlelegs Explorer | Level 3
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    lensilva Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?