cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refreshing screen on Excel and Word - Windows 7

Refreshing screen on Excel and Word - Windows 7

lensilva
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I recently started having a problem with Excel where frequent screen refresh (about every 4 seconds) was interfering with work. The same thing was happening in Word.

After many hours of troubleshooting, an online community suggested Dropbox as the cuprit. I uninstalled Dropbox and the probem was cured. I reinstalled it and the problem returned.

Windows 7, Office 2007

Thanks for any advice

63 Replies 63

jkg160
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Perfect, thanks!

gstinson
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had disappearing dropdowns in every Office application and every type of dropdown, including font size, borders, shape fill, etc.  This fix cured them all.

JosephL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Found this workaround on another DB forum entry.  It fixed my problem. 

gregvydra
gregvydra Level 2 Level 2
I found a workaround!

In Dropbox Preferences General,

Set Dropbox Badge to Never Show.

Yves_Mazzon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I Have the same problem with Dropbox and excel. If I have Dropbox in the background and when I use excel 2007 it is impossible to save my excel using the dropdown menu, The dropdown menu disappears in a flash in order to use excel I have to turn off Dropbox program from running. I tried many times and it is definitely Dropbox problem that steel the focus of the drop down menu. In addition when Dropbox is running I can see a fast flickering on Excel.

I hope Dropbox will take note of these soon.

Yves_Mazzon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I turn off Dropbox while I am working with excel or Word. I hope the Dropbox programmers will take notice that Dropbox should not steel the focus on the menus.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, 

I'm just updating the thread here to let you know that we're working on having this fixed soon and I'll make sure to send more information once amended. 

Thanks for bearing with our team, I hope you have a great week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

rsgreen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This beta version did not work for me out of the box.  I had to disable the badge ("never show") in order to correct the problem.

rsgreen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I had to disable the badge to fix the problem, but it seems to be working now. Running Win7 Ultimate on a Lenovo laptop.

stravsmi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

When Dropbox desktop app is running (the icon is in the taskbar, nothing else in particular is open), I have issues with the mouse pointer. E.g. when selecting colors from a dropdown in MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint, the dropdowns suddenly close and I am unable to select a color.

The problem is solved by quitting Dropbox (Taskbar symbol -> Settings symbol -> "Dropbox beenden" in German).

This seems to be Dropbox "competing for focus". Is this problem known at all?

stravsmi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Nvm, found it a few posts down. Solved.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Littlelegs Explorer | Level 3
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    lensilva Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?