Announcements
Top kudoed members this week! See now

Dropbox menu disappeared on Ubuntu 16.10

14 Comments
17 Kudos
Level 7

Dropbox menu disappeared on Ubuntu 16.10

Hi,

I no longer have a menu for Dropbox in the notification area on Ubuntu 16.10. The icon is there but there's only a black column without any menu items when I click the icon. This has worked just fine in the past. What could be causing this and can it be fixed? I am running the latest availlable version of Dropbox downloaded from Dropbox.com. See screenshot:

14 Replies
Level 2

Re: Dropbox menu disappeared on Ubuntu 16.10

Same here.

Level 1

Same here.

There is a thread about this on the Ubuntu forum

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2338633

Level 5

I can confirm this is still a problem when using Dropbox with the Ubuntu 17.04 beta.
Dropboxer

Hello all,

We're currently investigating this issue.

While we do this, we'd like to offer you a workaround as a temporary solution.

If you would like to use this workaround, you can do so by opening a Terminal session and running the following command:

dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start

Thanks for reporting!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

Level 5

That workaround no longer works, at least it does not in the 17.04 beta.  It shuts down dropbox, but when it restarts it the symptoms are the same.  I've seen others in the linked threads report the same results.

Highlighted
Level 5

Dropbox won't show any menu if it starts as old systray menu. Under Unity (Ubuntu >=17.04) it has to start as appindicator. For example:

env XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity dropbox start -i

It should also work for other desktop-environment which also uses indicator-applet like gnome-flashback session.

Dropboxer

Hey sunnysigara

Thank you for getting in touch with us here. 

Based on your description, it sounds that the user interface is not loading properly.

Can you please reboot your device once and see if this persists?

Moreover, can you please make sure that third party applications are not accessing the Dropbox folder and there are no symlinks

If this persists after attempting the above troubleshooting steps, please let me know here, I'll be glad to follow-up troubleshooting!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

Level 5

Is JaneA a bot, or just not reading the messages to which they are responding?

Sunnysigara's message was insightful and contained the proper workaround for Ubuntu 17.04:

The menu will work if you set the XDG desktop variable to "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity".  It doesn't work by default with 17.04, because it uses "XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Unity:Unity7".

Dropbox needs to update their Linux client to recognize the new format used for the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP variable.

kos Level 2
Level 2

i see that people on 17.04 must have no issues with the given fix but what about 16.10?

should i try the same? i guess not...