Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

1 Comment
0 Likes
Highlighted

Dropbox not automatically starting when Mac updates?

When I come in to work in the morning, I often find that Dropbox isn't running on my Mac. Of course, I only notice this because files aren't syncing like I expect and there is some sort of annoying problem because of it. My only guess is that it has something to do with when my Mac installs updates overnight maybe? Maybe the Mac resets and Dropbox doesn't launch? But I have Dropbox in my list of applications to launch on startup, so I don't understand why this isn't working. How do I fix this?

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6

1 Reply
Dropboxer

Re: Dropbox not automatically starting when Mac updates?

Hey @redearth329, have you tried reinstalling the desktop app by any chance? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Spoiler
To do this, first, make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in the Dropbox folder. Then:
  1. Download the newest version of the desktop app.
  2. Stop Dropbox (if needed):
  • Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'
  1. Delete the desktop app from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action.
  2. Reinstall the desktop app:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon.
  • Dropbox should appear in your menu bar. 
If you’re still having trouble with this, don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post