cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stopped working on Windows Server 2008 R2 on 01/19.2018

Dropbox stopped working on Windows Server 2008 R2 on 01/19.2018

thiagomf11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox stopped working on Windows Server 2008 R2 on 01/19.2018. Is there any incompatibility with this system? 

Does any version of windows server support? (2012, 2016?)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has never officially supported server operating systems. It has worked in the past, but newer releases have had issues and you may not be able to get it working. You can try contacting Support by opening a ticket, but since they don't provide support for server operating systems, you may be on your own.

Open your ticket here: https://dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus and Professional users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
There are two questions that been brought up in this thread:

• Why is Windows Server 2008 no longer supported?
  • Why weren’t we informed about this change?

For these questions, I can provide the following answers:

However, this does require delving into detail. Even though our site specifically states we don’t support Windows Server, we do know that some users do use Dropbox on their server, so we provide very limited information about how to make it work. After that, if issues crop up, then we can’t really help out.

Now, as you know, as of January 16th, support for Mac OS 10.6, 10.7,  and 10.8 were removed, along with Windows Vista.

The curious thing about Vista is that Windows Server 2008 is built from the same code base as Windows Vista; therefore, it shares much of the same architecture and functionality.” according to Wikipedia and our dev team.

So, long story short, when support for the desktop app for Vista ended, so did the desktop app for Windows Server 2008. No notifications were sent out to server users because it was never supported to begin with.

We do understand your frustration over this matter and have logged it with our team here to take this into consideration for the future, should other server users be affected with any deprecation of other OSes.

Note however that this can’t be guaranteed from my end, as (and I hate to repeat myself again) Dropbox doesn’t officially support server editions of Windows, or any OSes not on this page.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has never officially supported server operating systems. It has worked in the past, but newer releases have had issues and you may not be able to get it working. You can try contacting Support by opening a ticket, but since they don't provide support for server operating systems, you may be on your own.

Open your ticket here: https://dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus and Professional users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Bob N.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem. 

Dropbox has shut down access to Windows 2008 Server machines.  They sent a notice August saying that they were shutting down Windows Vista access AND DID NOT MENTION Windows 2008 Server. 

This must be entirely arbitrary, at least at this point, because it continued to work until January 23, one week after it supposedly wasn't supported anymore.

This is unacceptable. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It didnt mention it Bob because it officially has never actually worked on Dropbox - it was (and always has been) unsupported.

If it did work it was accidental.

www.dropbox.com/help/3 tells you what is, and what is not, supported.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

thiagomf11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have always used Dropbox on Windows Server, but now after what they did, as I will have to migrate to a newer version of windows, I will take advantage of it and migrate to Google Drive which is cheaper (it also only works in Windows 7 / 8/10). Tip: Install a virtual machine on your servers and run any version of the dropbox or google drive!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

thiagomf11 wrote:

I have always used Dropbox on Windows Server

It has worked in the past but was never officially supported. The fact that it has worked was likely due to the fact that previous server operating systems were based on the exact same technologies used in your desktop operating systems (XP, Windows 7, etc.). That's not so much the case anymore, and the dependencies that Dropbox has likely don't exist in Server 2008/12/16 anymore.

Bob N.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I understand that.  The problem is that there was NO NOTICE of this.  On August 30, 2017 I got a notice that support was ending for certain operating systems.  Windows 2008 Server WAS NOT LISTED THERE.  And Dropbox has been fully aware that it worked on that system -- there's even a support page describing how to do it. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
There was no need to post a notice about Server 2008 because Dropbox has never supported Server 2008 (or any server OS). The fact that it did work on previous server operating systems is immaterial to the notification that was sent.

Dropbox ending support and disabling the client on XP, Vista, etc. had nothing to do with the client no longer working on Server 2008. They didn't specifically stop it from working on Server 2008. It just doesn't work anymore.

Bob N.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Actually, it had everything to do with them dropping support for other operating systems. 

Perhaps you should look into the problem before making pronouncements.

This is a mistake on Dropbox's part.  It can be easily reversed for at least a short period to allow customers who had setups using Windows 2008 Server. 

Bob N.6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You are contradicting yourself:

was likely due to the fact that previous server operating systems were based on the exact same technologies used in your desktop operating systems (XP, Windows 7, etc.)

I don't know why you're arguing with me.  We are both ostensibly otherwise content DropBox users who want to continue to use DropBox and want to help people who are having problems. 

Need more support?