Announcements
Everything you want to know about Dropbox Paper Learn more

DropboxMacUpdate checking for updates too often

SOLVED
16 Comments
6 Kudos
Level 6

DropboxMacUpdate checking for updates too often

The DropboxMacUpdate task is started many times a day, which is excessive and annoying. There is no preferences option to change it. This started with recently, we are running the non-beta 21.4.25.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 6

Re: DropboxMacUpdate checking for updates too often

I did some digging and found the source of the update timing. It was set for 3,643 seconds, or every hour and 43 seconds! I guess Dropbox doesn't trust their own code, or this is a bug leftover from testing.

In addition to checking every hour, dropbox also checks for a software update every time you restart your computer. So you really don't need to check for updates often if you restart your computer every onece in a while.

It's easy to change the update check interval:

1. In the finder, open a window, then choose Go to Folder... from the Go menu, and paste this path:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

2. Find the file "com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist" and open it in a text editor like BBedit or a PList editor like Xcode. If you don't have one of those, you must rename if for TextEdit. Rename it by adding .txt to the end, so it's called "com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist.txt", then open it in TextEdit.

3. In the file, you'll see the following at the end:

<key>StartInterval</key>
    <integer>3643</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Change the "3643" to "1552000" for a six-month interval, or "2592000" for a monthly interval.

4. Save the file, and rename it back to com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist" if you renamed it in step 2.

Now Dropbox won't check for updates like a paranoid update addict.

16 Replies
Solution
Level 6

I did some digging and found the source of the update timing. It was set for 3,643 seconds, or every hour and 43 seconds! I guess Dropbox doesn't trust their own code, or this is a bug leftover from testing.

In addition to checking every hour, dropbox also checks for a software update every time you restart your computer. So you really don't need to check for updates often if you restart your computer every onece in a while.

It's easy to change the update check interval:

1. In the finder, open a window, then choose Go to Folder... from the Go menu, and paste this path:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

2. Find the file "com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist" and open it in a text editor like BBedit or a PList editor like Xcode. If you don't have one of those, you must rename if for TextEdit. Rename it by adding .txt to the end, so it's called "com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist.txt", then open it in TextEdit.

3. In the file, you'll see the following at the end:

<key>StartInterval</key>
    <integer>3643</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

Change the "3643" to "1552000" for a six-month interval, or "2592000" for a monthly interval.

4. Save the file, and rename it back to com.dropbox.DropboxMacUpdate.agent.plist" if you renamed it in step 2.

Now Dropbox won't check for updates like a paranoid update addict.

Super User

Can I suggest you post that on the official 21.4.25 thread as it is more likely to be picked up there:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-21-4-25/m-p/210165#M3769

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3

13 dropboxmacupdate processes(beta v22.3.20)

Level 6

This is our drop* activity, with the DropboxMacUpdate scheduling modification:

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 9.14.14 AM.png

Sampumon: try the change, reboot, wait a few hours, and re-check activity.

Dropboxer

Hi sampumon,

Sorry about all those DropboxMacUpdate processes.  We know about the problem and are working on a fix for it.  In the meantine, feel free to kill them all using Activity Monitor.  

Thanks,
David

Dropboxer

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the report about excessive checking.  We're working on a fix.

Thanks,

David

Level 3

Thanks David, I just killed 24 of them Joy Cat

Level 2

I contacted Tech Support about this constant updating but was told that DropboxMacUpdate had nothing to do with Dropbox and that it was a third party app or service!

This after watching the installer, that has the title when installing of "installing Dropbox and Updater".

A QT movie of the install seemed to convince Heavenly that I was correct but "Dropbox has to be updated"

Thanks for the fix, posted earlier.

Dave E.  Pass the word to your Tech Support please

Thanks

Peter

Level 2

I was wrong, the QT movie did not convince the Tech Support person that DropboxMacUpdate was part of the Dropbox install.

Thanks for writing in and for the screenshot you sent me , i was able to open the screenshot you sent and noticed the problem was with your 
Apple device that doesn't support the Dropbox application on your system.

Thats why you keep on getting the update on your system.

The best way for you to get assistance with the problem is to reach out to the company that makes the app or service for support.

Unquote

Is Dropbox support outsourced to a Time Zone far, far away from CST?

P