cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email pdf vs sending a link

Email pdf vs sending a link

David B.93
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I want to email a pdf from drop box. It sends a link rather than sending the pdf. The corporation I am sending to will not let them open the link. How do I send the file rather than sending a link to the file?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You cant send direct from Dropbox.

You need to download it first

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Except if you read the thread you'd see it wasnt a Dropbox restriction but an Apple one - and one that was changed over a year ago so it is possible to now do.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You cant send direct from Dropbox.

You need to download it first

David B.93
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am using an Ipad. How do I down load it to the Ipad so I can send it rather than the link?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I dont think you can I'm afraid - Apple lock everything down so you cant do things like that.

Kim M.25
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I absolutely agree!! In this world of now, now, now - our clients and partners need to be able to open a file on their phone from an email from me - not have to go to a website/app in order to do so. I will be posting this a few times in different forums - and sending to support. This shortcoming is a HUGE issue for all of the people I do IT work for - and have insisted that they use DB. Because this is not a possibility - they resort to double filing in order to keep a copy in DB and then in another app that will allow them to email the file rather than a link. As a product marketed for business users - I feel like this feature is not a bonus - but rather a requirement. Please let us know when this feature will be added. FYI - since the favorites are stored on the device - I feel that some slight alteration of the code should allow the favorites to be emailed as actual files. This might be the fastest means to an ends for this issue.

David B.93
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Kim. Well said. I have hundreds of PDFs and it would remove the need for DB if I marked them as favorites and stored them on my Ipad. It is very time consuming to import into another app just to email them.

Tony G.16
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have just discovered I can now send an actual pdf ( not a link) from Dropbox using  my Outlook mail client on IOS

That's a huge plus. Been waiting for that for a long time. 

Mlorrell
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I could not agree more. This is such an inconvenience that it makes you consider alternatives. It is obviously to gain more users as the recipient opens an account.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Except if you read the thread you'd see it wasnt a Dropbox restriction but an Apple one - and one that was changed over a year ago so it is possible to now do.

Tao
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
You say it is possible now? How? I'm in a iPhone 7 and all updated software and I can't see how to send a PDF from there directly to mail. Let alone a selection.
Need more support?