Announcements
Dropbox Connect NYC and SF Join Now!

Error 2 when installing

SOLVED
7 Comments
2 Kudos
Level 2

Error 2 when installing

I had this problem when updating on a PC with Windows 10. Using the offline installer did not help. Using an earlier version of DropBox, it installed, but then indicated I needed to update to continue. Finally I completely uninstalled the program using CCleaner (great program, BTW). I then cleaned the registry, ran the cleaner, and restarted the computer. At this point I went to dropbox.com, signed in, and hit the "install" link. Everything went smoothly from there and the latest Dropbox is installed and syncing fine. Hope this helps someone.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: Error 2 when installing

Great update, thanks so much for sharing! slightly smiling face

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face

7 Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Dropboxer

Great update, thanks so much for sharing! slightly smiling face

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face

Level 2

CCleaner won't fix this on my Win8.1 machine. Other suggestions.

Level 4

same here... problem not solved :(

Super User III

This is for Windows 7 but may still work. Give it a try:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/installation-error-2-win-7/m-p/219756#M...

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 4

Tried and failed... I have tried many options that I could find in this forum but nothing seems to work :(

The wierd thing is:

1. Older versions of dropbox can install but then I cannot log in

2. If I switch account on my laptop, I can install Dropbox, it works perfectly well but some how it does not translate into this account....

Any other suggestion will be gratefully received!

Dropboxer

Hey @aleincerti

Please accept my apologies for getting back to you in delay, hope you have a great week ahead!

Because you’ve mentioned that you’ve already tried to do some troubleshooting on your own, I’d like to ask you whether you received a different error message, so that I take it from where you’ve left off. If you’ve followed these steps, as per @Mark's suggestion, I’d like to ask you whether you’ve also tried updating with the offline installer as well, found below: 

Please try this option as well and let me know the results in your reply. Looking forward to hearing back from you, so we work together on a fix!

Warm regards,
JaneA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

Level 4

I had and it didn't work.

See also my message here

Hi @JaneA,   Thanks for your reply.   I have tried all troubleshooting suggestions that I came across in this forum (not only this thread) and in the support resources. Nothing worked and I kept receiving the Error 2 message. Note: the problem was ONLY related to my work's profile on my laptop. On the same machine, I've got a personal profile and Dropbox installs there with no problem at all.   The only thing that worked for me was to take my laptop to my office and connect to the server there. There must be some odd setting that my organisation chose for my laptop which prevents Dropbox to install properly. It must be a Windows issue... as always!    I haven't checked if Dropbox still works out of the office but will definitely ask for help if it doesn't.   Thanks, Ale