cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

How does one remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane om Windows 10?

Scott W.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't notice it on Win8.1, but I have already hacked out a bunch of stuff in the registry on Win8.1. I have the Dropbox folder conveniently located in the root of a second hard drive, I don't need the link cluttering up the Navigation Pane, or the Desktop for that matter.

73 Replies 73

Andy a.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes this is a critical failure of the product on windows 10 - I don't want/need a dropbox link rammed down my throat. I spend enough time removing other rubbish that some dim witted marketing person thinks improves their product without consulting paying customers - office integration, context menus, hot keys, auto start/play etc etc.

Its even worse when you have to juggle multiple business accounts as they seem to randomly decide what company name is displayed  on the link. Its often not the same company account I have just logged into which is embarrassing.

The first thing the development team should think about when another bright idea is thrown at them is how can we add this while not giving our customers a reason to look at a competing product - I know.... lets make a way from day one to turn this feature off/on

Mike R
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is actually super annoying. I was invited by a colleague to join a team folder, and the app added TWO links in the navigation pane - one for "Organisation Team Files", and one for "Organisation My Files". I was invited to join so I could see team files, and had no intention of using the My Files one. Much like everyone else, I wanted to remove BOTH and only pin the team files one to Quick Access... But no, Dropbox is just too cool for that, and has to reserve it's own space (with padding above and below to make it feel special) in MY navigation pane. As mentioned, what a waste of code.

Jack D.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My Dropbox name in Win Explore used to say Dropbox.  Now it says dropbox-namespace extension role.personal, AND files I put in DB on my main computer don't show up in DB app on my iDevices.  What is UP??

jack

Joao N.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Simple solution to all your problems: uninstall Dropbox and use any of its competitors! I'm super happy I ditched these guys 🙂

Malevola M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Months of this and no response. Also uninstalling Dropbox. It is unacceptable that I do not have a choice about whether Dropbox appears in my navigation pane.

addysoftware
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox is/was a good app. Saved me since very long time ago, because i needed a sync program, working myself simultaneously at many projects on several different devices, and this one was one of the very first appeared.  However, like many other people in branch, i am a conservatory person and i dislike the way Windows10 pushes lot of garbage in it's interface. I tried to find a way to make things less cluttered and found various registry hacks for that. Still, i didn't find a way to remove the Dropbox link from the Navigation Pane in Windows 10. Will be nice if Dropbox dev team will make a small modification in app code (i'm programmer and i know its not big deal for that) to remove the auto-write itself into registry for that. To be hack-able by power users. There will be no visible effect on global market scale. Thank you.

Neil-KY
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Solution is to add a batch file that updates the registry every time you reboot to counter-act dropbox updating it.  A solution is posted here: http://www.tenforums.com/customization/18386-remove-dropbox-navigation-pane.html

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution

Okay, I think I figured out how to do it. There's only one key value that you have to change, but you also have to change its permissions so that Dropbox won't change it back.

First you have to go to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A}

And set the System.IsPinnedToNamespaceTree value to 0.

This will remove it from the File Explorer's navigation pane.

Afterwards, you'll need to prevent Dropbox from changing the value back.

To do this, right click the {E31EA727-12ED-4702-820C-4B6445F28E1A} key and then click Permissions. Click Advanced, and then click Add. In the dialog box that appears, type Everyone, and then click OK. Change the type to Deny, and make it apply to This key only. Click Show advanced permissions, and check the Set Value box.

Afterwards, click OK and Dropbox should no longer be able to modify that value. Hopefully Dropbox or Microsoft will make this kind of thing easier someday.

Sebastian C.7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Pikamander2 that worked! thanks!

Jeff6
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Perferctly worked! Thank you!

Need more support?