cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to disable DropBox Update?

How to disable DropBox Update?

Laionidas
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How do I prevent DropBox Update from booting on Windows (10 Pro) startup?

I've tried everything (see screenshots below spoilertag), but it will still boot, and I have to kill it manually every time I reboot my laptop. This is bordering on malware.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

schroumpf wrote:

I think tampering with a private (or company) computer without authorisation is called 'hacking' and I believ it is illegal.

When it's unauthorized, that's correct, but Dropbox updating itself is completely authorized. It's stated in the terms that it may update itself periodically. These are the terms that you agree to by using the software and service so, effectively, you authorized Dropbox to update itself as needed.

Dropbox should be brough to court for passed hacking activities and forced to stop this practice.

Dropbox hasn't "hacked" anything. A program self updating, even without user control/intervention, is not hacking. If you're a Windows 10 user then you experience the same thing with the forced Windows Updates. Is Microsoft hacking your computer as well?

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You can't. Dropbox will always add and/or start the update process as it sees fit.

Laionidas
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That's pretty ridiculous. No program should do that, no matter how trusted.

I might just try and delete DropboxUpdate.exe and see what that does. If it messes up my Dropbox installation, I can always reïnstall the desktop app.

schroumpf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think tampering with a private (or company) computer without authorisation is called 'hacking' and I believ it is illegal.

Dropbox should be brough to court for passed hacking activities and forced to stop this practice.

As far as I am concerned I will uninstall dropbox check for cloud without forced update and if I do not find it I'll switch to micro sd cards that are now available in 500 gb and do not force me to struggle for internet connection.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

schroumpf wrote:

When it's unauthorized, that's correct, but Dropbox updating itself is completely authorized. It's stated in the terms that it may update itself periodically. These are the terms that you agree to by using the software and service so, effectively, you authorized Dropbox to update itself as needed.

Dropbox hasn't "hacked" anything. A program self updating, even without user control/intervention, is not hacking. If you're a Windows 10 user then you experience the same thing with the forced Windows Updates. Is Microsoft hacking your computer as well?

aircatcher
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why such option as "Disable update" is not available? I mean it is something that is crucial, considering not all users have a fast connection, I mean I only maxed out at 2 Mbps (I know, it is very bad, don't argue)

Wojtek
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is beyond stupid! And the updater is so ef-uped that it's downloading 160MB of update almost every day. Dear effin Dropbox - add option how often the update should be checked and if I want to get the dam update - in the end this is MY machine and not yours, and it seems (with the beloved "Terms of service") you think you can do virtually everything... So this is more like "legal virus".

Actually I'm on the verge of getting rid of this "application" as it's so annoying…

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Wojtek - Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

First off, let me start by saying that I am sorry to hear about this cumbersome situation. I understand that you don't like applications tampering with your machine and I would like to help as much as I can with this. 

Moreover, as this is not currently possible due to the fact that we always need to update to the latest version of the desktop app because each new version includes a number of key updates and it’s important that you run the latest version whenever possible, I wanted to thank you for this feature request.  We are always looking for our users' input when creating the next version of the desktop app and I will personally make sure your comments are passed along to our dev team.

In the meantime, you can completely uninstall the application and use the web only to access your files. 

I know this is not much of a solution but I really hope it helps in a way. If there's anything else I can assist you with, please do let me know. 

Thank you in advance and have a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

pbarney
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for the honest response. If Dropbox wants people to accept automatic updates then you NEED to start publishing a changelog. As far as I can tell, you refuse to do that.

Every single time Dropbox wants to update, I don't know why. Could it be that their update servers were hacked and are offering free botnet subscriptions? Could they be forcibly introducing "features" that we don't want? Or are they fixing security holes? I literally have NO IDEA!

It's a bit like: "Stick your hand into this bag and grab some stuff!" Candy? Bees? Who knows?

If we only knew what the updates were about, we'd be more likely to accept them.

So I ask: what will it take to get a changelog for every update?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

They've listened pbarney... they are starting to appear over on the Beta builds pages but maybe a few days delayed: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-50-3-68/m-p/276583#M4610

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?