cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
61 Comments
68 Likes
Level 1

Re: How to password protect the Dropbox folder in Desktop Application (Client)?

Of course you can, its called a USER PROFILE PASSWORD, Mac Unix & Windows all have them.

Level 1

Has anyone found a way to password protect a single file folder on their desktops Dropbox file folders.

I have created file folders on Dropbox.com and secured them with passwords, but on our desktop Dropbox file folders any of these password (online) file folders can be opened by anyone that sits at that desk, without the password...

Level 1

This is a massive shortfall. I hear many users commenting that we should rely on User Accounts to your machine to protect your content but that is of no help to me.

I have 1TB of storage with DB and use it to run a business. I have 5 staff who all have access to our dropbox account. It is set up on their machines and works very well. 

I would like to store some personal content (photos mainly via Camera Upload) on Dropbox. However when I do this that folder will also become available on all of my staffs machines and mobile devices. 

A simple solution would be to be able to giver a folder password protection from the cloud level and any access down the line requires you enter in a password. 

Please forgive me and point me in the right direction if this feature is already available and I have missed it.

Thanks.

Super User II

The issue here though is that you are using a) a product designed for home use in a corporate environment and b) an application which is designed for single users in said corporate environment. 

Please make sure you have adequately risk assessed your set up Lands. For example if one of your staff members decides to delete all the files on Dropbox, unlink everybody or change the email to the account there is nothing you can to do stop them. If they have the password they have FULL management control of that account. 

The other issue you've totally missed is that Dropbox has no way, at all, of managing how an OS deals with folders. Dropbox does not change OS settings. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

Lands, the best way to do that is to have a folder for your employees for which you give them permission to access. The rest of your dropbox will be private.

Level 1

Perhaps I can share with my 'solution'

I also use DB in my workplace, albeit the pro version for personal in my workplace. So I use Veracrypt in a drive (say Dslightly smiling face and place my dropbox files there. When I finish the day work, I simply close the DB and log out fro Veracrypt, thus my co-workers wont be able to see the files.

PS - I find most of the 'answers' are just plain arrogant. From my point of view the questions laid here are legit and are from people from various background, just have a bit more respect slightly smiling face

PS #2 - If u use this methos ALWAYS remeber to start veracyprt 1st, then DB. Not the other way around as DB will not find the folders & will ask u to direct it to a new folder.

Level 1

Securing by having a user account does not solve the problem.  I have a user account but had to give that account information to a PC repair service I used recently ( a reliable, responsible and trusted service) so that they could fix my PC.  My worry, as those above, is that once you have signed into the PC anyone can access supposedly private secure folders and files contained within dropbox.  If I access dropbox via my iphone or tablet I have to enter a PIN or password to access the files so why cant the same be added to the desktop version? It makes no sense to me. I have emailed Dropbox re this issue but they have not replied (not impressed).

Super User II

Securing by having a user account does not solve the problem

It does. You have circumvented it by giving out the password. 

is that once you have signed into the PC anyone can access supposedly private secure folders

But there not private and secure. And being honest all the technician needs to do is connect the hard drive to another machine in a USB device and password or no password he has full, 100% control of the data. Pass wording the client is NOT going to solve your issue. 

The only way to solve your issue is to remove the private data before handing it over. 

so why cant the same be added to the desktop version?

See above. I remove the hard dive. Connect to my machine via a USB cable and voila I have full access to your data. 

Oh and as is repeatedly said it is the Operating System, not Dropbox, that controls the file structure. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

Interesting thread as there appears to be a major communication gap when discussing the difference between the following two distinctions:

1.  The user account password for the operating system. 

and

2.  The desire to password protect dropbox files within the operating system.

Users that have explored both veracrypt and Sookasa, could you please provide feedback (positive or negative) regarding application for the latter situation?

Level 5

I used Sookasa for a while, but I had some difficulties that led me to discontinue using it.  One problem was that it difficult for me to access client documents from my iPad during client meetings.  I also had some syncing problems with it.  And in the end, if someone opened my computer and signed in, they could view all of the Sookasa files anyway.  Since I work at home and don't share my computer with anyone else, I decided that the extra hassle wasn't worth it.

As a side note:  It's interesting that I can't get in to Dropbox on my iPad without entering a four-digit passcode.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post
  • DaveC2
  • apraetor
  • Sam B.32
  • Russ B.3
  • Rich