Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

3 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted

How to uninstall Dropbox from a Mac

I can't uninstall dropbox from my mac. I follow the instruction that you provide on your website but it doesnt work. My desktop app isnt linked to an account. And yet it will not let me move dropbox to the Trash. I hate dropbox so much now. I just can't bare to continue to see the logo. Please help me remove dropbox from my Mac. Pleeeaasseee ...

3 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: How to uninstall Dropbox from a Mac

Hey there (@1979stchristoph), sorry to hear about any frustration this may have caused you; rest assured I’m here to help you find a viable resolution asap! 

If you’re having trouble uninstalling the Dropbox app, then you could follow the steps outlined on this resource (where it’s mentioned that reinstalling the latest version of the Dropbox can fix the uninstall process)

Spoiler
Reinstalling the latest version of the Dropbox can fix the uninstall process: 

1. Open Activity Monitor. This utility is usually located in the “Applications” folder, under “Utilities”.
    2. In the Activity Monitor, look for lines that say “Dropbox.” 
    3. Click a line that says “Dropbox.”
    4. Click the X to force quit the process.
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each line that says “Dropbox.”
    6. Try to uninstall Dropbox again. 
(Optional) Removing your Dropbox application settings:

#1. Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift+Command+G).
#2. A dialog box should appear. 
#3. Now copy and paste the following line into the box and press the return key: 
                  ~/.dropbox                     
#4. To remove your Dropbox application system settings, select all files in the folder and drag and drop them into the Trash. 
Would you mind giving my suggestion a go whenever you find some spare time & keep me updated here on the results you’re getting? Thanks & I'm wishing you a wonderful Friday ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Thank you for the suggestion but none of this has worked.

I have updated my version.

Removed all folders and files in the ~/.dropbox folder. 

Force quit all of the processes within Activity Monitor.

Tried to move the Dropbox folder into Trash, but it keeps coming back.

Dropboxer

I appreciate your cooperation & thanks for taking a bit of your time to try my suggestions (@1979stchristoph). I’d like to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your setup through our Official Support channel. So as to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Happy Monday & I’ll be awaiting your next reply Christoph!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post