cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can not open Dropbox app on may Mac

I can not open Dropbox app on may Mac

AriPai
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can not open Dropbox app on my Mac. The system is High Sierra.  I think the reason is that I had changed the user personal file, and the path of the profile or some other necessary file were also changed. The old version of my user personal file has been deleted and I also deleted the dropbox app of my Mac. Howerver, there are still existing some errors after I installed the Dropbox again and tried to open it.  

Here is the error code

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 36.4.22
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 981
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='ShihChePai', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Shih-Che Pai', pw_dir='/Users/ShihChePai', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='ShihChePai', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Shih-Che Pai', pw_dir='/Users/ShihChePai', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'DualMonitorPC'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'DualMonitorPC'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: u'/'
real_path='/'
mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: u'/Users/ShihChePai'
appdata: u'/Users/shih-chepai/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path=u'/Users/shih-chepai/.dropbox/instance1'
not found
parent not found
dropbox_path: u'/Users/shih-chepai/Dropbox'
real_path=u'/Users/shih-chepai/Dropbox'
not found
parent not found
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0100755 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=040755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: u'/var/folders/lt/cct25f6d3q33ny7hvkzmplyc0000gn/T'
real_path=u'/private/var/folders/lt/cct25f6d3q33ny7hvkzmplyc0000gn/T'
mode=040700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=040755 uid=501 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5998, in main_startup
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 2330, in run
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1423, in startup_low
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1038, in safe_makedirs
File "os.pyc", line 150, in makedirs
File "os.pyc", line 150, in makedirs
File "os.pyc", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/shih-chepai'

I have no idead about how to fix this error.  Please help me and thank a lot

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @AriPai , welcome to our community. I'll provide the steps to correct this now so please bear with me for a while.

Firstly, make sure you save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then:

1. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2. Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal and press ENTER.  Be extra careful when you copy and paste these commands (don't type it by hand), as getting it wrong could prove harmful. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. The password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

Once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and trying this step again.

You should be now be able to restart Dropbox from the Application folder. Sign in and apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to this reset during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @AriPai , welcome to our community. I'll provide the steps to correct this now so please bear with me for a while.

Firstly, make sure you save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then:

1. Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

2. Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal and press ENTER.  Be extra careful when you copy and paste these commands (don't type it by hand), as getting it wrong could prove harmful. You'll be prompted for your computer's admin password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. The password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo mv ~/.dropbox ~/.Trash/dropbox.old

Once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and trying this step again.

You should be now be able to restart Dropbox from the Application folder. Sign in and apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to this reset during the sign in process. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

AriPai
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you very much @Walter. I have followed your direction and solved my problem. These direction are very clear and helpful!

Thanks for your help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @AriPai

Glad I could help!

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

[This thread is now closed. If you experience further issues, feel free to get back in touch on the Dropbox Community, we'd be glad to follow-up. ]

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?