Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

11 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 1

I have a question about moving files on my computer. Can you help?

I'm new to Dropbox. The instructions say to "drag & drop" so that's what I did. I presumed the files I dragged and dropped would be COPIED to Dropbox, not MOVED there. Is there a solution for this now that everything is being moved?

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User II

Re: Basic question...

As Dropbox is a folder on your hard drive like all others it follows the default actions for that so it is moved. You can of course always copy it back, however, that means you have 2 copies of the data on your drive and one will get out of date quickly - there is no link between the Dropbox folder on your machine and any others

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

11 Replies
Super User II

As Dropbox is a folder on your hard drive like all others it follows the default actions for that so it is moved. You can of course always copy it back, however, that means you have 2 copies of the data on your drive and one will get out of date quickly - there is no link between the Dropbox folder on your machine and any others

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 1

So, the follow-up question is had I COPIED and not moved, that would mean that the changes I make to the files in the folder in question would not be synced to Dropbox and that the only way to sync is to MOVE the files to Dropbox and edit/view/update them there?

Super User alumni

So, the follow-up question is had I COPIED and not moved, that would mean that the changes I make to the files in the folder in question would not be synced to Dropbox and that the only way to sync is to MOVE the files to Dropbox and edit/view/update them there?

Yup - if you edit the copy outside of the Dropbox folder, it woin't affect the copy in the Dropbox folder and thus won't be synced.

Super User II

Yes you're correct.

Work on the files inside Dropbox as theres no link anywhere else slightly smiling face

Level 1

Geesh. That makes me nervous. I thought the whole point of Dropbox was that it would create a link between the copy of the folder on DB and the original folder on your computer and automatically update/sync them.

Thanks for all of your answers.

Super User II

Nope, it doesnt. But, remember it is a folder on your computer exactly the same as the original one.

Level 1

Nope, it doesnt. But, remember it is a folder on your computer exactly the same as the original one.
Mark Mc 8 minutes ago

Now I'm really confused. The folder is on my computer but it's not? Are you saying that the files have merely been moved to the DB folder which will remain on my computer even after I cancel my subscription at which time I can just rename the folder back to its original title?

Thanks in advance for your answers. Sorry to sound dumb; the concept is new to me.

Super User II

No. What you've paid for is a syncing service in the cloud. That is what you pay for - www.Dropbox.com/home . The folder on your computer is just that. Its a folder.

The difference is that this is what Dropbox syncs. No other ones.

Level 2

I used to store files, or "copy" files, in Dropbox, but then open the file in a folder somewhere else when I wanted to use it.

Please help me understand something.  I read that the files I store in Dropbox should not be stored anywhere else on my Macbook.  Then, when I need a file, I should open it in Dropbox.

Is this correct?  It makes sense.  Thanks for your help.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post