cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Highlighted

I have an issue with unlinking an account from a computer. Any ideas?

Level 5

Due to the fact I upgraded to High Sierra on my desktop computer -- a whole other issue of woe -- and my version of InDesign no longer worked, I dug my daughter's old laptop out of the closet and loaded InDesign on that so I could continue working. I'd love to be able to send myself all my files via Dropbox instead of constantly running back and forth with my external hard drive or e-mailing them to myself. I was just on the phone with Apple and they helped me change administrators from her to me and clean out all other info of hers from the laptop. But we couldn't get Dropbox to work. Dropbox still wants to link with my daughter, even though we could find nothing of her left on the laptop. Apple had me on the phone for an hour trying all sorts of things to fix the issue. How do I get her Dropbox info totally gone, and set up my Dropbox on the laptop?

15 Replies

Re: deleting account

Super User II

Try a complete uninstall and reinstall. Follow the procedure listed here:

Level 5

As far as I know -- and with the help of the Apple tech support guy -- all references to my daughter are now deleted off the laptop, including her Dropbox account. We could find nothing left behind. But when I tried to download the new version of Dropbox it comes up with a message box that says "Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/mydaughter'sname/.dropbox"  We tried searching for that Folder and found it nowhere. But that's as far as I can get. 

Level 5

Also, if I try to log in anyway, it comes up with the second message "Couldn't start Dropbox please contact support with the following info" and it has a bunch of code

Super User II

@GJ1956 wrote:

... all references to my daughter are now deleted off the laptop, including her Dropbox account. We could find nothing left behind. But when I tried to download the new version of Dropbox it comes up with a message box that says "Dropbox needs to change permissions for the Folder: /Users/mydaughter'sname/.dropbox"

That tells me that there's still a reference to the old account on the computer somewhere, which is why I recommended going through the full uninstall. Something on the computer is making Dropbox think there's already an account installed.

Also, if I try to log in anyway, it comes up with the second message "Couldn't start Dropbox please contact support with the following info" and it has a bunch of code

That code is likely the actual error message. Copy and paste it here and we may see what the exact issue is. I suspects it's just a longer version of the install log ending in a similar permissions error.

Level 5

I changed mine & my daughter's name in the code -- I didn't think that would matter for your purposes-- but other than that, this is it: 

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 43.4.50
bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: failed
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: failed
pid: 875
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='myfirstname', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='My Name', pw_dir='/Users/myname', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='myfirstname', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='My Name', pw_dir='/Users/myfirstname', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'fiddlelee', '_xcsbuildagent', '_xcscredserver'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'mydaughter'sname', '_xcsbuildagent', '_xcscredserver'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: u'/'
    real_path='/'
           mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
    parent mode=040755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: u'/Users/myfirstname'
appdata: u'/Users/daughter/.dropbox/instance1'
        real_path=u'/Users/daughter/.dropbox/instance1'
               not found
        parent not found
dropbox_path: u'/Users/daughter/Dropbox'
             real_path=u'/Users/daughter/Dropbox'
                    not found
             parent not found
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
               real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0100755 uid=501 gid=20
               parent mode=040755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
               real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-resources/python-packages-27.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
               parent not found
tempdir: u'/var/folders/v2/thqwkq4d1l3djhlh5w_nkqr40000gn/T'
        real_path=u'/private/var/folders/v2/thqwkq4d1l3djhlh5w_nkqr40000gn/T'
               mode=040700 uid=501 gid=20
        parent mode=040755 uid=501 gid=20
[get_extra_trace_info failed]
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1071, in boot_error
AssertionError

Original traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6384, in main_startup
 File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 2486, in run
 File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1514, in startup_low
 File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 1124, in safe_makedirs
 File "os.pyc", line 150, in makedirs
 File "os.pyc", line 150, in makedirs
 File "os.pyc", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Users/daughter'

Super User II
Exactly as I suspected. The previous Dropbox install went to /Users/daughter, and the installer can see that. Now you're logged in as yourname and don't have access to /Users/daughter (or it no longer exists.

You need to complete the steps for a complete uninstall/reinstall that I posted above, which will remove any remnants of the previous Dropbox install. Once that is complete, you should be able to install Dropbox under your user account without an issue.

Incidentally, what's happening here is essentially the same scenario described in the post I linked to above; the home folder has changed and Dropbox is still looking for the old one.

Level 5

Okay. So apparently we (me & the Apple tech) didn't manage to completely uninstall it. Being a bit dense here, how do I go about completely uninstalling Dropbox off the laptop? Obviously I can't get Dropbox to open, or do anything else, so how do I uninstall what doesn't appear to be installed? Sorry if I'm being clueless. 

Super User II
I included a link to the exact process you need to follow in my first reply to this thread.

Level 5

Sorry for the delay in responding -- my husband was outside maple sugaring and I had to go help and then do the final canning. Finally done. Anyway, clicking the link in your first response just takes me to the install option on Dropbox. I can download the installer but can't finish the install, obviously. If I can't install it, how can I click on the icon? There's no icon to click on. Again, sorry if I'm being dense. If I skip step #1, though, and go to the next thing, which is the Terminal in Utilities I can copy those two lines and paste them. I've never gone to the terminal before. Right now it just has my last log in info and my name. So I paste those lines there, correct:? 

and go on to the next step, which is go to Finder... etc.  I'm pretty sure, however, that the Apple tech guy walked me through some of these steps. 

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

I have an issue with unlinking an account from a computer. Any ideas?
More about this post
15 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See answer
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post