Did you mean: 

I somehow have TWO of the exact same Dropbox folders on the same computer

SOLVED
10 Comments
2 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2

I somehow have TWO of the exact same Dropbox folders on the same computer

I searched for a file and it did not appear where I believed I have saved it.  I found it but traced the source folder, and it was a duplicate folder on the same computer.  I further investigated and found that, somehow, my entire Dropbox duplicated on the same computer - seemingly one on the cloud and one on the hard drive.  This is a DISASTER as I'm not sure where to save things.  Please advise!

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: I somehow have TWO of the exact same Dropbox folders on the same computer

Hey @an111, welcome to our forum! 

Well, I can’t tell you why or how you have two Dropbox folders, but I can tell you how to find the one that’s currently syncing to your online account: 
  • click on the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray (by the time)
  • at the top of this little pop-up window, click on the small Folder icon
  • this will open the Dropbox folder on your computer, to which your account is currently syncing
    • you’ll also notice that there are syncing icons on these files and folders

Now, if you’ve been editing files in the other Dropbox folder, you’ll have to take those and put them into the proper Dropbox folder (the one that is syncing) if you want them to sync to your account. 

I hope this helps.
Cheers! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

10 Replies
Solution
Dropboxer

Hey @an111, welcome to our forum! 

Well, I can’t tell you why or how you have two Dropbox folders, but I can tell you how to find the one that’s currently syncing to your online account: 
  • click on the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray (by the time)
  • at the top of this little pop-up window, click on the small Folder icon
  • this will open the Dropbox folder on your computer, to which your account is currently syncing
    • you’ll also notice that there are syncing icons on these files and folders

Now, if you’ve been editing files in the other Dropbox folder, you’ll have to take those and put them into the proper Dropbox folder (the one that is syncing) if you want them to sync to your account. 

I hope this helps.
Cheers! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Dropboxer

Hi @an111

I didn’t hear back from you, so I hope you found my answer useful slightly smiling face

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

slightly smiling face

Level 2

I have the same problem, but I do not have the icon in the area near the time.   Now what do I do?  I can't figure out why and I don't know which one it is sending it to.  

Super User II

If you don't have the icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac), then Dropbox isn't running. Launch Dropbox and the icon should appear.

Dropboxer

Hey @belltchr, welcome to our community! 

Were you able to get our Dropbox app running on your computer? Have you been able to figure out which Dropbox folder is syncing? 

Let us know. 
Thanks! 

slightly smiling face

Level 2

Hi, I'm reposting this here as it went under the wrong topic.

I have the same problem! 

Trying to set up Dropbox on a new laptop - done this before with no problems. Somehow I've ended up with all my Dropbox files in two places - on the desktop and in the D drive.

I tried detecting which is the 'real' folder as you advised above, but they both seem to be 'real' - I'm terrified to delete either folder as they BOTH seem to affect my main Dropbox, i.e. if I delete one file as a test, it deletes in all places.

Meanwhile I have no C disk space left, which is why I moved the files to the D drive. It also keeps saying 'not enough space to sync'. This is a brand new Dell computer, if it can't handle my Dropbox it'll have to go back!

Anyone have any suggestions how I can get rid of the duplicate folder?  In the past when I've done a move to a new computer Dropbox has just simply set up as a shortcut and one folder.  Can I just uninstall Dropbox from the computer and starty again?

Dropboxer

Hey @BarbaraC, welcome to our community! 

Our desktop app can only be related to one local Dropbox folder. What I mean is, it only references one Dropbox folder, and this is the only one that syncs with your account online. What you’re describing makes it sound like maybe you have some referenced items (shortcuts) pointing to your Dropbox folder, and that’s why it appears that there are two of them, and that both are affected. 

What is the D: drive? Is it an external hard drive, an extra internal hard drive, a hard drive that was previously in use in some way? Let me know when you can, and we’ll go from there. 

In the meantime, here’s some info to be aware of…
Have you heard about our Selective Sync feature? With Selective Sync you can choose which of your folders you want to sync to your computer. All your content will always be available online at dropbox.com. More details here http://bit.ly/2oQbj34

If all your content is in your account online, what you can do is to unlink your computer from your Dropbox, uninstall our app, and then move both Dropbox folders to the D: drive, and rename them to something other than Dropbox. This is just in case you have missed a file or folder, and it’s not backed up to your account online. 

Now, restart your computer, then download and install our desktop app. During the installation, you’ll have the opportunity to change the location to which the Dropbox folder will be located. This will be in the Advanced install settings, and I suggest that you choose your D: drive, if that’s where you want it to be. 

All this, of course, is assuming that you have enough space on your computer’s D: drive. 

I hope this all makes sense. Let me know how it’s going, and if you have any further questions. 
Thanks! 

slightly smiling face

Level 2

Sanchez wrote:
Hey @BarbaraC, welcome to our community! 

Our desktop app can only be related to one local Dropbox folder. What I mean is, it only references one Dropbox folder, and this is the only one that syncs with your account online. What you’re describing makes it sound like maybe you have some referenced items (shortcuts) pointing to your Dropbox folder, and that’s why it appears that there are two of them, and that both are affected. 

What is the D: drive? Is it an external hard drive, an extra internal hard drive, a hard drive that was previously in use in some way? Let me know when you can, and we’ll go from there. 

In the meantime, here’s some info to be aware of…
Have you heard about our Selective Sync feature? With Selective Sync you can choose which of your folders you want to sync to your computer. All your content will always be available online at dropbox.com. More details here http://bit.ly/2oQbj34

If all your content is in your account online, what you can do is to unlink your computer from your Dropbox, uninstall our app, and then move both Dropbox folders to the D: drive, and rename them to something other than Dropbox. This is just in case you have missed a file or folder, and it’s not backed up to your account online. 

Now, restart your computer, then download and install our desktop app. During the installation, you’ll have the opportunity to change the location to which the Dropbox folder will be located. This will be in the Advanced install settings, and I suggest that you choose your D: drive, if that’s where you want it to be. 

All this, of course, is assuming that you have enough space on your computer’s D: drive. 

I hope this all makes sense. Let me know how it’s going, and if you have any further questions. 
Thanks! 

Hi Sanchez,

Thanks so much for replying. I did in fact do exactly what you suggested, and it was OK!  In fact I took out everything Dropbox and started again from scratch.

So I think I've solved it now, but for the benefit of anyone else with the same problem, here is the explanation I found -

My old laptop had two internal drives, C and D. C was the much bigger one, D was like an overflow. So everything from Dropbox used to fit on the C drive comfortably.

The new one, for some reason, is the other way round. The C drive is quite small and is nearly full up with system software, but there's lots of room on the D drive.

So Dropbox was trying to put all files on the C drive and failing. I'd also made it worse by trying to move my Dropbox files to the D drive and just ending up with them all duplicated there - as well as on the C drive, and also showing on the desktop (which when I cooled down I realised was actually just a list of shortcuts).   Total confusion, no room on discs, panic...

Fortunately my old laptop is still working, so I was able to go back and compare the two systems, which is when I saw the relative size of the C and D drives.

So as Sanchez says, if this happens to you it means you need to unlink Dropbox (vital!) then uninstall it and start again, this time installing the Dropbox folder into the drive where there's more space.

(I'm not usually as panicky as this, but Dropbox had always been so easy to work with and suddenly it was going weird on me!)

Thanks again,

BarbaraC

Dropboxer

@BarbaraC, thanks for getting back to me, and for sharing your experience with me and other users! I’m glad to hear that you’ve got things under control slightly smiling face

Cheers

slightly smiling face