cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [ISSUE] Google chrome won't load dropbox link url [ Work Around ]

[ISSUE] Google chrome won't load dropbox link url [ Work Around ]

da90
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Google chrome on ubuntu 16.04 does not load the url to link the client. It loads up google chrome but the page is blank with no url in the url bar.

For anyone else having the same problem you will have to use firefox.

Set firefox as the default browser Settings -> Details -> Default Applications then from the dropbox client click sign in and it will load up firefox with the url and you can link the client.

I spent about an hour installing/uninstall/rebooting and even compiling the source code trying to get dropbox client to work then i suspected the issue maybe with google chrome so i switched to firefox and it worked.

My current version of google chrome is:

Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

Can dropbox team please look into this issue thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey da90, sorry to hear about the difficulty you experienced while trying to submit a support request! 

If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d suggest retrying through our Help page at https://www.dropbox.com/support, following this flow: Email/ Other/ & then choose "Email now”?  On the Other details” field there, please fill in any additional info on what you’re experiencing, that would help our team determine the case . 

This should let you write in to our team to report the issue. If you write us there, please include your 7-digit ticket ID in your next post, so as to make sure we handle it as soon as possible. 

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you here. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@da90 wrote:

Google chrome on ubuntu 16.04 does not load the url to link the client. It loads up google chrome but the page is blank with no url in the url bar.

I spent about an hour installing/uninstall/rebooting and even compiling the source code trying to get dropbox client to work then i suspected the issue maybe with google chrome so i switched to firefox and it worked.

Hello, @da90...

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on two different computers and I'm not experiencing any problems with loading Dropbox Shared Link URLs in Chrome (both 32 bit).

Can you view my example Dropbox folder with Chrome on your computer?  If so, then I'd recommend that you clear Chrome's history from the "Beginning of Time".

If you don't want to clear your history then try using private browsing or incognito mode (add-ons/extensions don't usually load😞

NOTE:  If using private browsing/incognito mode allowed you to see the URL, then some add-on/extension is probably causing your problem (something besides an ad blocker perhaps).

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CLEARING BROWSING HISTORY:

If you don't have any ad blocking extensions that are enabled then perhaps you should try clearing all of Chrome's browsing history.

chrome://history

BE SURE TO:

1. Select the beginning of time from the drop-down menu.
  2. Check all 8 boxes.
  3. Click on the Clear Browsing Data button.
  4. After it's finished, close Chrome for 10 seconds.
  5. Open Chrome.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

Please let us know if you could see my example folder in Chrome.  If nothing worked for you then let us know that as well.

da90
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'll explain what happened i received an email saying that I was logged on with a password that I hadn't changed in a while. So I changed my password online and signed out of the client and then I tried to sign back in but when I clicked on sign in it opened Google chrome browser but no url in the bar it was blank so I couldn't link the client.

I found that the problem lies within the python module "webbrowser" which is used when users click sign in or help from the context menu to load their default web browser and open http://dropbox.com/

The client is working now as explained in my first post changing default browser to firefox.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@da90 wrote:

I'll explain what happened i received an email saying that I was logged on with a password that I hadn't changed in a while. So I changed my password online and signed out of the client and then I tried to sign back in but when I clicked on sign in it opened Google chrome browser but no url in the bar it was blank so I couldn't link the client.

I found that the problem lies within the python module "webbrowser" which is used when users click sign in or help from the context menu to load their default web browser and open http://dropbox.com/

The client is working now as explained in my first post changing default browser to firefox.

Hello, @da90...

Thanks for the clarification... I misinterpreted your OP.

I caught the part about working in FFox, I was merely trying to see if we could get it to work in Chrome.  After your recent post, I understand it has nothing to do with opening shared link URLs.

I will log-out of the Desktop Client on one of our Ubuntu computers when I have time to see if I can replicate your experience.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

da90 wrote:

Can dropbox team please look into this issue thanks.

Hello, @da90...

Since this is primarily a user supported forum, please refer to this forum post to view instructions on how to Submit a Help Request (includes screenshots).

If you want the Dropbox team to investigate then submitting a help request will make it official.

da90
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the help.

I tried sending a request via https://www.dropbox.com/support/email/dropbox_app/submit but when i click on submit nothing happens. Today is just not my day lol.

Is there an email address so i can send them an email?

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@da90 wrote:

Thanks for the help.

I tried sending a request via https://www.dropbox.com/support/email/dropbox_app/submit but when i click on submit nothing happens. Today is just not my day lol.

Is there an email address so i can send them an email?

Hello, @da90...

You're welcome.

I see.  I guess it's not your day... my advice is to shut-off all of your electronic devices, read a book the old fashioned way (actual book in hands) and quietly wait for tomorrow :nerd:

Or... see if this Support Page will load for you.

da90
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I'll leave it for now maybe the Devs will pick up on it and look into it.

Since Firefox can be used it's not much of a problem, I thought I'd post about it for anyone else having the same issue.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey da90, sorry to hear about the difficulty you experienced while trying to submit a support request! 

If it’s not too much trouble for you, I’d suggest retrying through our Help page at https://www.dropbox.com/support, following this flow: Email/ Other/ & then choose "Email now”?  On the Other details” field there, please fill in any additional info on what you’re experiencing, that would help our team determine the case . 

This should let you write in to our team to report the issue. If you write us there, please include your 7-digit ticket ID in your next post, so as to make sure we handle it as soon as possible. 

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you here. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @da90 hope you're doing good :upside_down:

Just wanted to check in and see if you've been able to get through and submit a support request to get in contact with our team via email. 

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Thank you! 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Need more support?