cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

If I use a formula on a spreadsheet, it's not updating across devices.Why?

Level 4

I'm an elderly retired teacher who uses Excel for keeping my household accounts on a Windows 10 desktop computer. I use the .xls format rather .xlsx for compatibility with a very old Apple Emac and at my computer savvy son's suggestion saved the file as ... in a Private folder on Dropbox. This allows me to refer to my accounts while out and about with my Moto g5s Android mobile phone. Everything syncs perfectly EXCEPT the three references to the function =TODAY. To check this simply I created a simple file saved as both .xls and .xlsx with nothing but =TODAY() in cell A1. All 5 instances (3 in my accounts and the two test files) show Monday, 7 January 2019 on the computer and Saturday, 22 December 2018 on my phone. I've tried reinstalls, restarts and haven't a clue what's not working.
John Lewis [personal information removed by moderation for security reasons]

5 Replies

Re: Wrong time on files

Level 4

Using OneDrive I get the proper date on the Win 10 desktop computer and the Android Moto g5s when I put =TODAY() in A1 on an Excel s/s.

Dropboxer
Hey @OldAbner, I appreciate your detailed post & thanks for taking the time to gather all this info for us, let’s check a couple of things together & we’ll take it from the results you're getting on your end! 

Please bear in mind that the formulas included in your excel file should update across your devices as expected, as long as your Windows 10 pc is syncing correctly

Please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable version of the application on this device (63.4.107), you’ve made all OS updates & the app displays an Up-To-Date message on your system tray.  

system-tray.png

From there, can you let me know whether you’re having any pending OS updates on your phone? Also, are you running the latest version of our app (124.2)? 

If everything is working correctly, you should be able to see your excel file updating from your desktop to your account online. Once fully synced, it should populate your Homepage, where all your recently uploaded files should be displayed. Can you check whether it's updating there?

Hopefully my message points you towards the right direction & please do let me know my advice works for you or in case you have any additional questions about any of the above. Have a lovely week ahead & I'm looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

I hope this is where I reply to Jane. Everything suggested had been done though the app version is 124.2.4
I have done further experiments with =NOW which gives time as well as date. I created a simple Excel file with this function in the A1 cell, then saved it to the "cloud", using Dropbox, MSOneDrive and Google Drive, all of which are accessible from my Win 10 desktop computer and my Android 8.1 moto g5s phone. I also tried Google sheets. Rember that I am basking in NZ summer 13 hours ahead of GMT or is it UT now.
Results:
Google sheets gives correct time and date
Ditto for MSOneDrive
Google Drive ok on desktop but showing San Francisco date and time 21 hours earlier on phone
Dropbox ok on desktop but still stuck on Sat 22Dec 2018 at 0 :30

Level 4

Correction to final line above:

Dropbox ok on desktop but still stuck on Sat 22Dec 2018 at smiling face with halo0 and if this time becomes an emoji again when submitted, it should read zero-colon-three zero, ie half hour past midnight.

Dropboxer
I appreciate your meticulous report on our discussion here @OldAbner & thanks a lot for your trust & taking the time to try my suggestions. As I’d like to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your setup through our Official Support channel having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

If I use a formula on a spreadsheet, it's not updating across devices.Why?
5 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post