cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

In a "mdworker quit unexpectedly" loop after turning on Smart Sync

Kidhack
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ever since turning on Dropbox Smart Sync, Spotlight has been going nuts and using tons of CPU. The helper app "mdworker" is constantly crashing. Will report back after Dropbox finishes indexing all the Smart Sync files. 

Quit unexpectedly

PS. Funny you can't link Dropbox photos to the image uploader in this forum.

102 Replies 102

John_Cox
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @MarieRCH,

I found a slightly better solution than hiding the dialogue box in the corner (see above post)

This command entered in terminal stopped the pop-up dialogue box

defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none

The problem still exists and it doesn't stop the indexing - just stops the annoying dialogue boxes.

Still waiting on a fix...

MarieRCH
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@John_Cox thanks very much for this, much appreciated. Though I worry that if I do that I will forget there is a problem that needs sorting! 'Out of sight, out of mind!' 😉 Might have to resort to this if no fix happens... Thanks very much either way 🙂

Solved
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Quitting Dropbox solved the issue

MarieRCH
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Quitting and relaunching Dropbox definitely helps but does not solve the issue ... I can now go on for almost a full day without getting the error message but it pops back after a while... Definitely the best option so far though! The good old 'turn it off and on again' 😉

jsnyc7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The problem started after I turned on Dropbox smart sync. I have MacOS X 10.12.6.

You can disable indexing PDFs in the Spotlight preferences. That's what solved it for me.

Sylvain
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
"disable indexing PDFs in the Spotlight preferences" Unfortunately doesn't work for me 😕

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Sylvain - how are you today?

Apologies for the tardy response - are you still having this issue? 

Bear in mind that you might need to perform an advanced re-install to troubleshoot this specific error. Also note, that you can always reach out to our Support team by logging a ticket if this persists. 

I hope this helps and please keep us posted. Thank you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Actually mdworker crashing is due to the way apple interacts with certain filetypes.

The issue is only present on HFS file systems, so, with the introduction of spares files on High Sierra - which uses APFS - this issue is resolved.

For context, firstly, while you see the errors within event log there are no issues with the functionality or operation of your Dropbox software. These errors do not indicate an issue with the saving of your data.

What you are seeing is mdworker crashing as, when it reads the logical size of PDFs, the actual size and past size differ, causing the issue. As mentioned on the forum thread you could disable it/Spotlight but we would certainly not recommend this. While the error may look noisy in the logs there is no actual issue here.

Hope this helps!

stephenceresia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here.  DropBox team, please get it fixed!!

stephenceresia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm using 10.13.5 on APFS and having the issue.  So any insight on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.  

Need more support?