cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to automatically copy files from my C: drive in windows to dropbox?

Is there a way to automatically copy files from my C: drive in windows to dropbox?

miranda j.1
New member | Level 1

I have multiple windows computers in my home and looking for easy backup solution.

Is there a way for Dropbox to automatically sense that a file has been put into a windows folder and then copy into dropbox?

If so, how do you do this?  And are there any issues with large video files or files created in MS Movie maker?

Please let me know.  Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

No there isnt a way to copy files to Dropbox - one of the reasons being is it isnt designed as a back up tool. Its a syncing one. 

And no, no issues with large files either. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

miranda j.1
New member | Level 1

What if I use selective sync to sync the folder from windows c/downloads to dropbox?

Would that work?   I can't seem to figure out how to get dropbox to search my c drive so I can add the folder.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Mark
Super User II

What if I use selective sync to sync the folder from windows c/downloads to dropbox?

No. Selective Sync simply deletes folders locally from your hard drive but leaves them in the Cloud. 

I can't seem to figure out how to get dropbox to search my c drive so I can add the folder.

Because you cant. As I said that isnt how Dropbox works. 

Dropbox does not 'link' or 'connect' or 'sync' to any other folder on your computer. It only looks at, monitors and sync's its own folder. Anything you want in Dropbox you need to physically put inside the Dropbox folder. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

miranda j.1
New member | Level 1

I get it now.

What I was thinking of was something for windows similar to Android app where it automatically syncs photos and videos to Dropbox.

It would be great if there was a way to do this in similar manner with Windows.

Can you feature within Windows 10 to sync files to a dropbox folder?  Or is the only to sync to one drive?

Was hoping to find simple way to do this. 

Mark
Super User II

Windows 10 works exactly the same way - it only syncs what is in the Dropbox folder if you have installed the full client. If you have installed from an app store it doesnt sync anything unless you physically open the app and put it in there. 

voeurnchy
New member | Level 2

The Symbolic Links can link a folder to another folder. 

1. Create Symbolic Links with mklink

- Install Dropbox

- Create new Folder in Dropbox path

- Open Comment prompt runs this comment.

mklink /J "C:\Dropbox\App\Folder" "C:\Folder_to_be_copy" 

- when you add the file into C: \Folder_to_be_copy it will automatically add into "C:\Dropbox\App\Folder". that it will since automatically

2. Create Symbolic Links with a Graphical Tool Link Shell Extension

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

voeurnchy New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    miranda j.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?