cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install Dropbox on a Kindle Fire 8?

Can I install Dropbox on a Kindle Fire 8?

WhitePawn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My Kindle just arrived.  The biggest requirement is DropBox or there's really no point.  Where do I find the app AND get it to install on the device?

-It's not on the amazon store.

-Google Play only results in an error message when I try to install.

-The emailed link results in a link to the amazon app store that reads "unavailable".

-Allow outside applications is enabled.

How do I get dropbox on my Kindle?  If I can't, say so, so I can send the **bleep** thing back right away.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there,

Technically it can be done. To install Dropbox on your Kindle device, please take the following steps:

• Open the Kindle's main Setting app. On most devices you can find the settings by tapping "Apps" at the top of the Kindle's home screen, then selecting "Settings."
  • From the Settings app, tap "Applications".
  • Toggle the setting labeled "Apps from Unknown Sources" to "On". This enables your device to install apps not in Amazon's Appstore.
  • Next return to the Kindle's main screen and launch the built-in Silk browser.
  • In your browser, open the following URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/android

If you cannot access the link above, try downloading the app directly using this link instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6993309/Dropbox.apk

• Once you've downloaded the app file, return to the Silk Browser window and tap the Sidebar Menu button (three horizontal lines icon in upper-left).
  • Tap "Downloads.”
  • From here, tap the "Dropbox.apk" file that just downloaded to launch the Dropbox installer.
  • You will be prompted to confirm the installation of the Dropbox app. Tap the "Install" button to continue. When the installation is complete, click "Done" or "Open".

Please note the Dropbox app is not optimized for Kindle devices, we don't provide support for it and you may experience performance issues on older Kindle devices.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Unless you decide to side-load applications on to your Kindle, you're limited to the apps found in the Amazon store, and unfortunately, Dropbox is not in the Amazon store. Side-loading is not a supported method (by Amazon, Dropbox or Google).

WhitePawn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a PC, a Kindle, and an iPhone.  I'm guessing side-loading doesn't work without an android based device.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Side-loading is the term used for loading unauthorized applications on to an Android device. Your Kindle is an Android-based device.

There are methods for doing this on iPhones as well, and it involves jailbreaking the iPhone.

DONALD B.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why is google blocking dropbox from Fire tablets?  What are they afraid of?  

This is beyond annoying.  Google does many things very well, but right now google doesn't offer a service that is equal to or better than dropbox, so they are forcing users into the mediocrity of whatever they offer that they pray users are stupid enough to believe is equivalent?  I won't even name that supposed dropbox substitute that google is flogging.  It sucks.  Google sucks.  

Makes Kindle Fire 8 WORSE THAN USELESS.  No wonder it only costs a hundred bucks, you get what you pay for.

mbernardi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
The Dropbox app has recently appeared in the Amazon App Store. However it is an older version than is available via side loading.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there,

Technically it can be done. To install Dropbox on your Kindle device, please take the following steps:

• Open the Kindle's main Setting app. On most devices you can find the settings by tapping "Apps" at the top of the Kindle's home screen, then selecting "Settings."
  • From the Settings app, tap "Applications".
  • Toggle the setting labeled "Apps from Unknown Sources" to "On". This enables your device to install apps not in Amazon's Appstore.
  • Next return to the Kindle's main screen and launch the built-in Silk browser.
  • In your browser, open the following URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/android

If you cannot access the link above, try downloading the app directly using this link instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6993309/Dropbox.apk

• Once you've downloaded the app file, return to the Silk Browser window and tap the Sidebar Menu button (three horizontal lines icon in upper-left).
  • Tap "Downloads.”
  • From here, tap the "Dropbox.apk" file that just downloaded to launch the Dropbox installer.
  • You will be prompted to confirm the installation of the Dropbox app. Tap the "Install" button to continue. When the installation is complete, click "Done" or "Open".

Please note the Dropbox app is not optimized for Kindle devices, we don't provide support for it and you may experience performance issues on older Kindle devices.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

johnc1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How can I upload files from Kindle Fire to Dropbox?  I can see no way of doing it, please help!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@johnc1 wrote:

How can I upload files from Kindle Fire to Dropbox?  I can see no way of doing it, please help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    johnc1 New member | Level 2
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    mbernardi New member | Level 2
    DONALD B.2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?