cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOV file downloads to Dropbox with audio but without video

MOV file downloads to Dropbox with audio but without video

Ryan44
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When MOV videos from my wife's iPhone download to our Dropbox desktop app, we can't view them.  The audio transfers but there is no video with it (black screen only).  I do not have this issue with my Android phone, which transfers as a MP4 file.

I also noticed that we are able to view her MOV videos from Dropbox.com, just not the desktop app.  I unistalled and reinstalled the Dropbox desktop app, but the problem persisted.

I use the desktop app to backup these videos on an external hard drive and have not been able to find a way to do this via Dropbox.com.  Please help me fix this issue!

Thanks,

Ryan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The issue is that on your computer you do not have the codecs (think library that decodes the video) to play it.

You'll need to download them, or, the easiest way is to install VLC Player which has pretty much all codecs installed as standard.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The issue is that on your computer you do not have the codecs (think library that decodes the video) to play it.

You'll need to download them, or, the easiest way is to install VLC Player which has pretty much all codecs installed as standard.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Umair R.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
VLC player or install the codec package and then you're sorted!

HighReach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Installed VLC player and works great.
Installed new version of Quicktime and videos do not play
Videos still do not play in windows movies and tv or windows media player

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@HighReach wrote:
Installed VLC player and works great.
Installed new version of Quicktime and videos do not play
Videos still do not play in windows movies and tv or windows media player

Unless you identify the correct codec and install it yourself, the video will not play properly in Quicktime or the Windows players. VLC has most of the popular codecs built-in, which is why it can play the video.

Bgmello
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same issue, and i dont think it´s a codec problem. My mov files from my ipad continues to work perfectly.

Only mov files from the iphone 7 with iOS 11 do not work..

I´ve already updated Quicktime.

Somebody here has the same problem?

Best regards!

HighReach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

VLC player fixed it for me.

No windows players, quicktime or other players worked.

Only the VLC player

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Bgmello wrote:

Only mov files from the iphone 7 with iOS 11 do not work.

And there's your problem... iOS 11. But before we get into why, remember that where video is concerned, the file extension (.mov, .mpg, etc.) means very little. That's just a container file for the encoded video within. In order to play that encoded video, you need a player that not only recognizes the file type (remember, just a container) but also a proper CODEC installed that is capable of decoding the video content within the container.

Ok, moving on...

Prior to iOS 11, the CODEC used by Apple was H.264/MPEG-4. This was (is?) the most popular video format, widely supported by almost all media applications and many hardware devices. Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc., all supported it out of the box. I'm betting that your iPad hasn't been updated to iOS 11 yet, and this is why videos from it continue to work; they're H.264 videos in a .MOV container.

With iOS 11, Apple is now using HEVC, or High Efficiency Video Coding. HEVC videos are still saved in a .MOV container, but the video within is encoded as H.265/MPEG-H. This new encoding requires that either your media player supports HEVC videos (most don't, as of this writing), or that you have a proper CODEC installed as well to handle the decoding.

If you have a Mac and are running one of the newest versions of macOS, this shouldn't be an issue as Apple has obviously included support for their own filetypes, but other operating systems or older versions of macOS/OS X will require updated players and CODECs. VLC, in my opinion one of the best media players available, supports these new video files.

There are A LOT of articles online that describe this much better than I ever could. If you need more information, I'd suggest you Google for iOS 11 HEVC.

Bgmello
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Highreach,

The VLC Player really worked, but I need to edit the files with Adobe Premiere...

Best Regards!

Bgmello
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

@Bgmello wrote:

Only mov files from the iphone 7 with iOS 11 do not work.

And there's your problem... iOS 11. But before we get into why, remember that where video is concerned, the file extension (.mov, .mpg, etc.) means very little. That's just a container file for the encoded video within. In order to play that encoded video, you need a player that not only recognizes the file type (remember, just a container) but also a proper CODEC installed that is capable of decoding the video content within the container.

Ok, moving on...

Prior to iOS 11, the CODEC used by Apple was H.264/MPEG-4. This was (is?) the most popular video format, widely supported by almost all media applications and many hardware devices. Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc., all supported it out of the box. I'm betting that your iPad hasn't been updated to iOS 11 yet, and this is why videos from it continue to work; they're H.264 videos in a .MOV container.

With iOS 11, Apple is now using HEVC, or High Efficiency Video Coding. HEVC videos are still saved in a .MOV container, but the video within is encoded as H.265/MPEG-H. This new encoding requires that either your media player supports HEVC videos (most don't, as of this writing), or that you have a proper CODEC installed as well to handle the decoding.

If you have a Mac and are running one of the newest versions of macOS, this shouldn't be an issue as Apple has obviously included support for their own filetypes, but other operating systems or older versions of macOS/OS X will require updated players and CODECs. VLC, in my opinion one of the best media players available, supports these new video files.

There are A LOT of articles online that describe this much better than I ever could. If you need more information, I'd suggest you Google for iOS 11 HEVC.

Thanks!

I believe you got the point! Right now I´m updating my video codecs to solve this. 

I will post the conclusion as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PJKL New member | Level 2
    SGP1 New member | Level 2
    ivydst New member | Level 2
    dtcom New member | Level 2
    rutholin New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?